ABS code 63????

Thomas95SC

Ok, so I got the code by jumping the pins on the ABS test plug, thanks 96SCbird :). Got code 63, Pump Motor Speed Sensor :confused:. Did a search but couldn't find anything on it. What is it?

Generated by no pump motor speed sensor signal during initial check @ 31 km/h (19 mph), wire harness or faulty electronic controller.

Going of a 94 service manual but should be the same, but is either Pump, wires between pump and controller, 40 Amp fuse or Controller. Way too many pin outs to post all the steps.

Check resistance on Pins 31 (P) and 49(O/R) with harness disconnected from Controller looking for 5-100 ohms. If none there check at pump same wires.

Last edited:
found the controller, got 27.5 between the two on the big block that plugs in the module. Now what?

Last edited:
Check for Voltage on O/Y and ground either body ground or BK wire on connector, with ingition in the KOEO position.

IF good check the ABS Relay.

IF no voltage its either bad wires in harness (pin them out individually) or the controller is bad.

I'm guessing on exact wires since my Service manaul is using a brake out box Pin numbers so I could be wrong but should be good guess. My money is on the ABS relay.

Check for Voltage on O/Y and ground either body ground or BK wire on connector, with ingition in the KOEO position.

IF good check the ABS Relay.

IF no voltage its either bad wires in harness (pin them out individually) or the controller is bad.

I'm guessing on exact wires since my Service manaul is using a brake out box Pin numbers so I could be wrong but should be good guess. My money is on the ABS relay.

what is O/Y?

Orange/Yellow

Sorry I forgot not everyone is as familiar with electrical abbreviations as I am.

To check power on Pump Relay T/Y (Tan/Yellow) is supply. On the Pump Sensor supply voltage is GY/R (Gray/Red).

Just for S and Gs also check voltage on Brown/Pink (BR/PK) to ground and Light Blue/Pink (LB/PK) to ground, with Key in RUN position.

Changed relay, no luck. It looks to be impossible to pull the plug out of the pump since its so packed in there :mad:. That is the pump next to the control module right?

ABS light stays on with no relay in. Couldn't find some of the wires you listed but I checked all of them in the plug that goes into the module. I got 12v on these wires:

blue/pink
black/blue
tan/red
green/pink
blue/pink

Got .81v on these
white/blue
solid green

So what do ya think :)?

Need to get the pump plug off, and check the continuity between the wire listed below between the the pump and Controller Harness.

462 (Pink) Pump motor Speed Sensor (Pin 31)

604 (Orange/Red) Pump motor Speed Sensor (Pin 49)

If the pump plug is good and no shorts on either Sensor wire, getting 12V supply and ground is good; then looks like you need a new Pump.

Here's pic of the pump plug

ABSPUMPPlug.jpg

Before you replace the pump since Ford list them at ~$400 I get it professional checked, fore there could easily have been a miss communication between us.

Last edited:
Alright, plugged the CM back in. Pulled the pump plug and put the ignition on KOEO, getting only 1.56v on circuit 462, 604. Nothing on the other two. Will have to run continuty test tomorrow. I had my wife turn the key on while I had my hand on the pump. Wouldnt run but would click once. Maybe bad module, not sending enough voltage to run pump? Still need to check wires though. Will post update tomorrow morning.

Circuit 57 is ground so it no big deal to check if the pump can operate is to jumper/hot wire Pin 538. 18g wire will be fine, since only need it to see if it will run.

Here's the schematic of the area your working in:
ABS2.jpg

Its a long shot but if pump turns out to be good the fluid level switch might be the cause.

Circuit 57 is ground so it no big deal to check if the pump can operate is to jumper/hot wire Pin 538. 18g wire will be fine, since only need it to see if it will run.

Here's the schematic of the area your working in:
ABS2.jpg

Its a long shot but if pump turns out to be good the fluid level switch might be the cause.

E

All that's greek to me. You don't think the module is bad? The pump plug was only getting 1.56 volts?

If your only getting 1.5V DC out of the relay to the pump relay then most likely the relay has failed (resistance has shot up considerably). To check the relay make you a jumper wire and jumper the two pins on the left of the relay connector.
th_AbsRelay.jpg

Jumper (back probe, shove wire ,easiest if solid wire, in the back side of the plug were the wires are coming out) A and B, if pump does not come on then pump is bad. If pump does run then either the Relay is bad or its not getting Input signal.

Make sure you have at least 10V on Pin A too. Harness may indicate pins like the MAF does (harness is lettered).

Last edited:
Its in the Front Drivers corner with the rest of the ABS systems. Should have a Tan/Yellow, Gray/Red, Black, and Pink/Light Blue wires coming from it, I list them them in order from A-D.

Tan/Yellow (A) is Hot at all times on a 40A fuse, so either be careful or pull the fuse until ready. No offense put based upon your knowledge level pulling the fuse might be best until your ready to have power energize. No offense intended put I'd hate for you get bit while trying to jump it.

Best I can tell the Pump Relay is different than the ABS relay (which is in the the Distribution box). Though if it is the pump relay you can easily adapt any 40A SPDT 12V relay instead of getting a OEM Relay (hold on to that though need to due some more research on the input current and voltage).

Last edited:
ok jumped a and b wires. Removed fuse first and installed my jumper wire. I left the car off wile doing this, hope I was suppose to. As soon as i replaced the fuse the pump just clicked and the it started smoking from the jumper wire. I removed the fuse before it really burned anything. Tried again, same result, just one click. Guess the motor is froze. Maybe I can have it rebuilt or will this one work from http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1140578,parttype,1596?

Just to make sure you jumpered the 1st and 2nd pins/wires on the pump relay connector. If so then make sure you have continuity between the pump motor and pump relay wire B. If you didn't hear the motor run then it is most likely shot and you need to get that Rockauto unit (Ford says to replace the pump relay too).

Let me reiterate I'm trying to relate the info form a 94 service manual so there is a chance of either a miss-communication or I'm wrong, though I do believe now your pump has been the problem.

Personally IF have the cash and want ABS buy the pump and see how much for a shop to diagnose the ABS just to make sure you need the pump. If pump is/was bad your out about $80 for a diagnoses else you get to return the pump and patch some wiring or look at a whole new Control Module (I think the Control Module is ok though).

Reading the service manual code 63 is basically either a bad: Pump, Pump Relay or wiring.

On a side note I would think that the pump/motor could be rebuilt by almost any generator shop; may want to see if you can just get it off and rebuilt cause right it anit doing anything, and the rebuilder can tell you in a heart beat if its bad.

Last edited:
Back