Weird idling

micah_jones

Well, lately my car has had a pretty strange problem. When I start it cold, it starts right up and idles fine. If I go somewhere, and turn it off when it isnt completely warmed up(Which takes forever, 30 minutes of driving for the temp needle to get to normal) it will start right up, then drop to about 300RPMs then rev itself up to about 900RPMs, and keep doing this, eventually dying after the 4th or 5th time. If the car is completely warmed up, it will idle just fine again and wont do this. The only other strange thing I have noticed is it taking forever and a day to heat up. Are these two things related? If not what can I do to fix these?

Your IAC is acting up. I would guess your IAC warms up with the engine temp, and when the engine is warm, it works propery.

Your IAC is acting up. I would guess your IAC warms up with the engine temp, and when the engine is warm, it works propery.

But its not weird that it starts and runs fine when its cold? There is no check engine light that I have noticed, but another weird thing that happens is after it dies, if I try to crank it right after, it cranks very slow, but turns over after a second or two.

I agree that the IAC is moving erratically, but I think it's probably something else. When I've had the IAC malfunction, it will (always) either 1) idle high and never drop down or 2) will not idle up. You can check for proper IAC operation when running the KOER tests.

Most SC's that I've had had hot-start sluggishness. The only thing that made a difference was putting in a fresher starter.

Back