All columns the same?

blksc

Well no one wants to buy my SC so im gonna fix it. The rod that connects to the ignition switch is broken and would be easier and maybe cheaper for me to swap columns. Will any column from a 94/95 tbird work?

auto and 5psd have different provisions for the release tab

i put an 90 auto sc column on my 90 5spd

only difference is that i don't have to hit the tab to remove the key :)
which i really enjoy ;)

just as a side note.. the blinker switch assmebly is different for the auto dim and the non auto headlamp modules so be mindful

Oh thank you 'cipha. By auto dim do you mean auto dim courtesy lights, or the headlamps that turn on when it gets dark?

Last edited:
Oh thank you 'cipha. By auto dim do you mean auto dim courtesy lights, or the headlamps that turn on when it gets dark?

I'm pretty sure he means the auto dimmer for the high beams. The multi-fuction switch ties into the module for the auto-dimmer mounted into the dash when you have the auto-dimmer. If you don't have the auto-dimmer for the high beams, then the wiring is different on the column.

Well im not too caught up in original. I just dont want to look like im hot wiring m own car evertime I take it for a spin :)

YOU WILL NEED a 94-95 not a 89-93 ok..

and if you want to look original must be of a 5 speed

How would it not look original if I got a column from an automatic car? Also, does the donor column have to come from a supercoupe?

How would it not look original if I got a column from an automatic car? Also, does the donor column have to come from a supercoupe?

The 5 speed columns have a cutout in the plastic shroud and a lever for the key release. You can swap these over from column to column .. the lever has its own bolt, spring and there is a small plastic cover where the shift lock actuator normally goes for the auto's.

It does not need to come from a SC .. you can always put your SC steering wheel airbag on a a different wheel or swap the whole steering wheel alltogether if you just get the column only.

- Dan

The 5 speed columns have a cutout in the plastic shroud and a lever for the key release. You can swap these over from column to column .. the lever has its own bolt, spring and there is a small plastic cover where the shift lock actuator normally goes for the auto's.

It does not need to come from a SC .. you can always put your SC steering wheel airbag on a a different wheel or swap the whole steering wheel alltogether if you just get the column only.

- Dan

Hmm my 95 doesnt have a cutout for the key release. I wonder if my column has been changed before and replaced with one from an auto.

in 94 the release is next to they key its a black tab that move while turning the key back

on the earlier models is the white tab on the left side at the bottom

I believe all the column shrouds (covers) from 89-93 had that cutout for the release tab but only the 5spd sc's came equipped with them at least thats my findings from my experiences

94 the column was changed, it may have changed again maybe in 96 or for 97not exactly sure, maybe the airbag had something to do with the change?

be mindful that our columns have a linkage with a pin in it for the tilt wheel, those pins like to fall out and you have to no shut off problem, key just spins!
so you might want to test out one from the yard before grabbing it.

parts

I have one that came out of a 94. 94/95 are the same I found this out the hard way. I have a 93, I got the right one now so I have the 94/95 w/key. Its all black with wheel. I'm asking 60 plus ship. I have it up on this sight for sail now. Contact me at theboynotorious2002@yahoo.com or pm hear

Last edited:
Back