Any issues using an older style clutch in the 94-95's?

90coug

So I have an aluminum flywheel I'd like to install in my 95 birdy. Thing is it's slightly smaller than the OEM flywheels, it's for the 89-93 style cars. I can't fathom any issues, does anyone know of any or why I wouldn't want to do this? I also have the correct size clutch to go with it.

only thing I could think of is maybee the ring gear is a different diamater?
or the bolt pattern may be different.

as long as you have the right size clutch then you are fine for sure. I think one is 1/2" different in engagement diameter so it matters one way, but and older flywheel with an older clutch works fine. That's what I have on my 95.

as long as you have the right size clutch then you are fine for sure. I think one is 1/2" different in engagement diameter so it matters one way, but and older flywheel with an older clutch works fine. That's what I have on my 95.

So you've got one working in your bird? Did you use the starter in the 95 or from an earlier one?

same starter, the ring gears are the same (sorry I should have clarified), just the engagement area is 1/2" difference for the clutch and flywheel face.

I can't remember which one is 1/2 smaller, but I thought it was the 89-93. So you could in theory use the 94-95 flywheel with either clutch, but maybe not the other way.

I researched it some time ago and couldn't find where anyone was running a mix of years, but I do have a 89-93 clutch and flywheel on an otherwise 95 SC.

You could do a search for Ricardo's posts, he had some issuses at one point if I remember right.

I'm running hte 89-93 because it is the only year for the centerforce dual friction which DD recommended. And I like the clutch fwiw.

Back