sc starts, but wont crank sometimes.

Colganation

Just bought a 93 5sp sc. When driving it home, the tachometer suddenly went dead...the check engine light came on, but the car functioned normally. the tachometer jumped back to life after a few miles, and the check engine light went off simotaneously. after i got it home, it wouldnt entirely crank over...as if to have a bad starter. I waited a half hour, then it came back to life with the turn of the key. I'm reluctant to drive it anywheres until I get the situation solved. I have a replacement crank sensor the previous owner included with the purchase of the car, as well as a warning that such problem existed. I took a chance on getting it home, and I got lucky. anyone heard of a smiliar problem? any ideas or remarks would greatly be appreciated. thanks.

common problem

this sounds like the cam sensor going bad. Computer gets reference signal from cam sensor and so does the tach. More than likely, just replace the sensor. Located where the distributor would be on this car, above the water pump ande to the left.

Good
luck

Don

Just bought a 93 5sp sc. When driving it home, the tachometer suddenly went dead...the check engine light came on, but the car functioned normally. the tachometer jumped back to life after a few miles, and the check engine light went off simotaneously. after i got it home, it wouldnt entirely crank over...as if to have a bad starter. I waited a half hour, then it came back to life with the turn of the key. I'm reluctant to drive it anywheres until I get the situation solved. I have a replacement crank sensor the previous owner included with the purchase of the car, as well as a warning that such problem existed. I took a chance on getting it home, and I got lucky. anyone heard of a smiliar problem? any ideas or remarks would greatly be appreciated. thanks.

Wasent overheating was it?
Charging system working OK?
Battery terminals clean& tight?
grounds connected and tight?
If its cranking slow after a run (battery going dead) then starts after sitting (Battery rebounds) sounds like a low voltage problem to me.

Last edited:
Back