PDA

View Full Version : BHJ damper seized to crankshaft

walunsf
12-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Has anyone else run into their BHJ damper seizing to the crankshaft? I have the motor out for overhaul since it blew a head gasket at 208k miles. I'm trying to pull the damper off but it wont budge. I've already ripped one set of bolt heads off. I've applied penetrating oil as best i can and applied heat on a cold day but no luck so far. I've left the puller on with tension for over a month too. Also note I'm one of the lucky ones with a Duracast crank.

decipha
12-26-2009, 05:49 PM
you sure your using the tool correctly? there really shouldn't be any tension it should pretty much just pull right off with the puller

remove the 4 crank pulley bolts
remove the 22mm head damper bolt
install the flat washer on the crank snout
use the crank pulley bolts to snug the puller
on the vibration damper, only use 2
tighten the press up against the flat fasher hand tight
bust out the 13/16 and 1/2 wrenches and tighten
the thrust bolt into the puller, the balancer should just
slide right on out

walunsf
12-26-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm familiar with the operation of a puller. I thought about taking the motor off the stand and standing it up to allow the penetrating oil to soak in better.

thirdbird
12-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Exactly what are you using to pull that off with?
A steering wheel puller should do the trick with long grade 8 bolts threaded all the way into opposite pulley bolt holes.
EDIT, saw that you tried heat, you maym need a ram if the puller I mentioned isn't doin it for ya...
I would use Neverseez when installing something like that to make later life easier.

the-big-e
12-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Use grade 8 bolts.....:D

What and how are you applying the heat.....

A small rosebud around the base of the balancer, with tension applied, balancer should jump right off......:p

walunsf
12-26-2009, 07:57 PM
i'm using a craftsman puller. i didn't apply too much heat as i didn't want the oil to catch fire. trying to figure out the rosebud thing but i think i know to what you are referring. once it warms up and the snow melts i'll try some force behind the damper. also have been working on my galaxie the last few weeks but it us done for now. i think i have grade 5 bots in the puller now.

walunsf
12-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Lesson learned regarding the antiseize. now that i have a bottle, i'll be sure to use it during rebuild.

XR7 Dave
12-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Something is very odd here. The balancer should come right off, even with standard grade bolts and no heat required.

neverfastenough
12-27-2009, 12:51 PM
+1 If its A BHJ Im assuming you put it on? Did it give you any touble when you did?

the-big-e
12-27-2009, 05:11 PM
A rosebud is a type of tip that goes on on an oxy / acetylene torch head....

What year Galaxie are you working on....

bowez
12-27-2009, 06:34 PM
I suspect the crank washer is still in place.

Miller
12-27-2009, 06:48 PM
I suspect the crank washer is still in place.

I 2nd that.

walunsf
10-03-2010, 06:42 PM
:) This week i was finally able to get the BHJ damper off my SC motor. Looks like the damper wasn't aligned correctly with the woodruff key and that altered the slot in the damper. I also switched to my Snap-on puller set and kept constant pressure on the puller while soaking the snout in penetrating oil for a few weeks. i do have early 89 SC which has the duracast crankshaft.

question about my galaxie, i have a 68 XL fastback