Darn, How do I take off Crank pulley and balancer bolts on an Auto?

ricardoa1

The four bolts on the crank pulley and the main bolt on the balancer is pretty tights problem is the engine spins as I turn it. Manual cars I just put it in gear how the hec k do I take these items off?

I'v done it by opening up that little window on the tranny where the TQ converter bolts are and jam up the bolts w a screwdriver or put a deep socket and ratchet on them so it cant spin..past that opening.

Use a Large deep socket on the main bolt with a breaker bar resting on the cross member.
Then turn the engine by tapping the starter. (Disclaimer - not the prefered method, but it works)

Never really had a need for one till now that I have an Automatic :rolleyes:

Well now that you can go faster with an automatic;) you should go get one. I perfer one like I have in the picture. For those bolts you can reach, you can use a good wrench set similuar to the one in the picture. Gets some good tools guy now that you can go fast:D:D

Ken

Attachments

• Impact.JPG
    Impact.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Wrench.JPG
    Wrench.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 184
It is only dangerous if the car starts. Disconnect the Coil pack to make sure it doesnt....I have done this many times. Nothing bad will happen as long as it is disabled....

Thats how I do it never had a problem.

we do that on all bmw's here in shop. those suckers are tight. 100Nm then 360 deg. tight tight tight.

the sc is nothing to remove with that method.

remove the rubber dust guard on the separator plate at the back of the oil pan, there is a hole next to each torque converter bolt on the flexplate, one has the drain plug for the torque converter stuck through it---don't use that one --- any other one you can stick a socket into the hole---depending on the wall thickness a 16-17-18 etc go for best fit---that should jam the engine well enough to remove (and also tighten) any bolt on the rotating assembly.............Dan

I just put my strap wrench on the pulley, let it wedge up against something and break the bolts loose, works for me.

It is only dangerous if the car starts. Disconnect the Coil pack to make sure it doesnt....I have done this many times. Nothing bad will happen as long as it is disabled....

I actually forgot to remove the wrench once and started the motor :eek: Lucky for me nothing got damaged, but my pride.

Ricardo,

Using a rubber mallot to strike the breaker bar handle will also work to loosen the bolts. You won't be able to properly tighten them up without installing a socket on one of the converter bolts, so you may as well do the same to loosen them.

David

good question.
A pry bar and the inspection plate door on the trans can be used to keep the motor from turning. That's how mechanics do it.

Other options, include a breaker bar (not a socket wrench) with an extension and a hammer. Put the breaker bar on the bolt with the socket, pretension it with your hand and hit the handle of the breaker bar with the hammer. That will often break it loose so you can get it going by hand without turning the motor.

Another rant who at Ford decided you need to that bracket for the lower IC behing the PS pump. Id like to have a word with him.

Last rant, I took off the bolts to the water pump but it seems like the balancer cover is holding it in place. Am I missing another bolt?

Back