PDA

View Full Version : Shorter Condenser Parallel Flow for $120.00 plus shipping!!!!!!!

ricardoa1
12-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Art, from American Condensers, wants to extend an offer to get some condensers out the door. I want to see how many of us will commit for these high quality condensers. They will allow more air flow to your stock IC or Double IC, or allow you to run pipes to the front of the car for a true FMIC.

Details of how these came about can be found in the new products thread.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105458

Art is selling these for $165 currently but with your help we can get these for $120.

This is for the Parallel Flow core Short version for Stock/Double Intercooler (40776P)
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q54/nettlesd/PF-short-condenser.jpg?t=1238681460

Click here for order info.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=859769&postcount=27

Interested:
Ricardo
XR7 Dave
BLOWN38
Kurt K
Pablo94SC
KMT
99GSXR750
the-big-e
Toms-SC x3
rzimmerl

XR7 Dave
12-30-2009, 06:14 PM
I'd be down for 1.

Toms-SC
12-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Mark me down for one.

BLOWN38
12-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Me four. For one.

XR7 Dave
12-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Mark me down for one.

What the hell do you want one for, you have a FMIC????

Toms-SC
12-30-2009, 07:08 PM
What the hell do you want one for, you have a FMIC????

And a working AC! Picture that in a SC. :cool:

Kurt K
12-30-2009, 07:12 PM
All of these concurrent group purchases are killing me....I'd be down for 1.

ricardoa1
12-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Mark me down for one.

Tom if you are keeping the MP FMIC Art is going to look into using a Parallel flow 10x25 for the MP design, not sure how soon it will happen but I will be switching prototype one in the blue car if he comes thru on that. But thats for a later date I think he just ran that across me. He also mentioned that he has stock replacement units in Parallel Flow ready to make upon order.

But back to this short, stock IC one. Shipping from experience was $30 bux from Cali to the Ma. I assume it will be no more then that.

Toms-SC
12-30-2009, 07:42 PM
For $120 this unit costs it is an absolute steal FMIC or not. :cool:

Not everybody has a over heating problem with the FMIC and AC.

Pablo94SC
12-30-2009, 07:49 PM
I called today to order a PF unit and he asked me to call back Tuesday after the holiday madness was over, so count me in for one.

DLF
12-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Tom if you are keeping the MP FMIC Art is going to look into using a Parallel flow 10x25 for the MP design, not sure how soon it will happen but I will be switching prototype one in the blue car if he comes thru on that. But thats for a later date I think he just ran that across me. He also mentioned that he has stock replacement units in Parallel Flow ready to make upon order.

But back to this short, stock IC one. Shipping from experience was $30 bux from Cali to the Ma. I assume it will be no more then that.

If the Parallel Flow for MP happens, please let me know, I want one.

KMT
12-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Ricardo:

I'm in, thanks.

Ken

99GSXR750
12-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Sign me up for one.

ricardoa1
12-31-2009, 11:53 AM
List updated.

the-big-e
12-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Add me to the list.....

I will be installing a double IC later on.....

Will the AC suffer (I am running 134) by using a smaller condenser......

What is the preferred payment method.....:confused:

ricardoa1
12-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Add me to the list.....

I will be installing a double IC later on.....

Will the AC suffer (I am running 134) by using a smaller condenser......

What is the preferred payment method.....:confused:

I dont think you will see a difference with the parallel flow it is a much better design then the tube and fin that stock thunderbirds have.

I want to present to Art the list after this weekend and we can then place orders individually with him with a credit card or bank CC.

Toms-SC
12-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Most definitely down.

Toms-SC
01-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Mark me down for 3 units please

ricardoa1
01-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Mark me down for 3 units please

Really.......:eek:

Toms-SC
01-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Yes. There is more than one SC in my family and at this price these units are a steal.

Jmat95
01-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Do these parallel units hurt the flow to the rad? My birds does not overheat, but it does run very very warm. Does anyone have feed back on the units that has already been installed from when this started?

rbrown
01-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Is it over?

Kurt K
01-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Is it over?I don't think so....I haven't paid any money yet.

ricardoa1
01-06-2010, 01:05 PM
I spoke with Art on the subject, I am just waiting to hear back about when it is a good time to place the orders. So it is still a go. Ill post the contact info and good time to call in with orders.

In therory the Paralle Flow works so well because it creates a very turbulent air flow as it passes thru, taking with it alot of heat and allowing the condenser to transfer it to the passing air. How much it adversely affects things when it gets to the radiator is uncertain but from reports it seems to not be an issue.
The + of of this unit is mentioned in the first post.
It will allow more air to the Intercooler or Double IC. Or it will will create an opening for you to pass IC tubes to the front of the car, for a true front mount set up and not have to delete the Air Conditioner, or hack things up to get the tubes to the front of the car.

rzimmerl
01-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Sign me up for one, I may want my AC back someday.

ricardoa1
01-06-2010, 01:37 PM
We got 12 so far anyone else?

Art is unable to process credit card for these, So I want to see what he says about checks.

ricardoa1
01-06-2010, 02:06 PM
It will be a two step process due to different shipping scenarios and since the box are oversize people should pay actual shipping. About $30 to the east coast so little less for the mainland guys I hope.

Art wants you to call up or email and get actual shipping quote.
Contact person: Art Reyna
Phone: 800.777.1591
or email artreyna@americancondenser.com
and reference you are part of the group buy and need a shipping quote.

Once you receive the shipping quote send him the $120 plus your personal shipping quote to the following address in the form of a check or MO.

American Condenser
1628 W. 139th St.
Gardena, CA 90249
Atten: Art-Thunderbird Group Buy

With your order send him your:
Name:
Address:
Phone:
Email:
Item # P40776P-Thunderbird PF short
And reference the $120 + shipping and your total paid.

Once he gets your payment he will make them and ship them out to you. I think it takes him about a week if he has the cores in stock.

Or pay with a credit card

And thank you all for participating in the group buy. He is going to let me know how many have called to get their shipping quotes so Ill be watching out for you and comming after you if you bail ;) :D :eek::mad:

Toms-SC
01-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Correction to Ricardo's post, they are accepting credit cards!

"Thomas,
Oh yeah…we can do credit card purchases now. Sorry…the banks were going crazy. Spread the word.
Let me know.
Art"

:)

007_SuperCoupe
01-06-2010, 03:22 PM
When is the expiration of this group buy? I've got a few other things going at the moment so I can't commit today, but quite possibly in a few weeks. Not sure how long this is going. Any time frame on this?

ricardoa1
01-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks Tom, I guess he resolved the issue with the CC, so you could just call up and place the order and avoid the 2 step system. But if using the checks system when you email him put your phone number on the email so he can contact you back in case of an issue.

fturner
01-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Just as a caution, I think there was someone from Canada that wanted a condensor from these guys and they said something about not being able to ship to Canada. The Canadians might want to double check that.

Fraser

Toms-SC
01-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Just as a caution, I think there was someone from Canada that wanted a condensor from these guys and they said something about not being able to ship to Canada. The Canadians might want to double check that.

Fraser

Got that covered. I've got a second address in the United States now. :D Take that UPS!

ricardoa1
01-06-2010, 07:36 PM
I ordered mine.

Pablo94SC
01-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Plan on ordering mine tomorrow or Friday.

Kurt K
01-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Called today, since he couldn't successfully reply to my email.

KMT
01-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Done.

Thanks for your help, Ricardo.

Ken

99GSXR750
01-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Just ordered mine.

Pablo94SC
01-12-2010, 01:12 AM
When he called today he told me there are two left in this batch, so order now and beat having to wait for the next batch to be made!!

Toms-SC
01-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I've yet to place my order but I'll be taking 3....Place your order before I do :D

ricardoa1
01-12-2010, 01:05 PM
He makes them to order and takes about a week. Mine is ready to ship. Im surprised he made extras, I guess he anticipated a few of you to call.

BLOWN38
01-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Finally remembered to order mine.:)

Pablo94SC
01-12-2010, 06:27 PM
He orders the cores in batches of 6 IIRC, so once he's out he'll have to order additional cores for the next wave of people.

I'm really glad this came along when it did. The valve in my low pressure line decided it didn't want to hold pressure anymore so thought if I have to replace the line/acculumator, might as well go ahead and upgrade the core. :D

rzimmerl
01-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I hate to do this but I am going to have to step out of this.

solow
01-12-2010, 07:00 PM
I want one craig

ricardoa1
01-12-2010, 07:14 PM
I want one craig

Fell free to call him up. ;)

ricardoa1
01-12-2010, 07:15 PM
I hate to do this but I am going to have to step out of this.

Get ready Im comming after you. LOL.

Flex
01-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Ricardo,

What is the price at? I noticed that there were 3 different versions, which is most efficient? Do any hurt cooling through the rad making the engine runn hotter? Why can't they ship to Canada?

Sorry for all the questions but I had my raditation on Friday and I am in a lot of pain so I can't sit through a dozen page thread to try to find the answers. Any info would be appreciated.

ricardoa1
01-26-2010, 04:33 PM
After taking a look at the parallel flow and the stock units I dont think the PF will have any problem feeding air to the radiator its is an awsome looking unit. And since Art let this group buy happen for $120 it should be a no brainer. The unit is skinnier then then stock unit. You can see thru it very easily.
I dont think the tube and fin units are needed with this option. I have not tested A/C performance but a PF unit is supposed to be much better then tube and fin.
Click to see pics of it.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=862674&postcount=3

Flex
01-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Ricardo,

Thanks for the quick reply. So efficiency should be at least as good as stock? Are they still going? Do you know why no Canada?

ricardoa1
01-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Ricardo,

Thanks for the quick reply. So efficiency should be at least as good as stock? Are they still going? Do you know why no Canada?

I dont know why not to canada? I assume because its an oversize box it would be a problem, but I dont know.

We are cutting down 1/3 from the original unit but IMO the stock unit is oversized for the job so it should work well. Give me a few months and Ill give you my results but others already have this and used it last year with great success.

Flex
01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
No it can't be the size. I have had headers shipped which come in a box 2 1/2 times bigger. I just had a full size condenser for an N/A Tbird shipped 2 weeks ago.

How do I contact them about that?

ricardoa1
01-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Contact person: Art Reyna
Phone: 800.777.1591

rzimmerl
01-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Get ready Im comming after you. LOL.

haahaha, I just noticed this. :p

007_SuperCoupe
01-27-2010, 12:53 PM
I sent an email to Art asking how long the group purchase would be going on. He asked me to post his response:

Sam,

I really appreciate all of your fellow members having stepped up to the
plate for this unit. Therefore, the price will remain unchanged for the
remainder of 2010. However, you may want to order before the summer, or at
least a few weeks before the planned retro-fit. The lead times are much
longer during the busy season(April-September).

Thanks....and please post this message on your board.

Regards,

Art Reyna
Product Manager
American Condenser & Coil, LLC
1628 W. 139th St.
Gardena, CA 90249
310-515-1477, xt. 111
310-515-5310, fax

This is awesome news and I will be placing my order soon for one of these units... just got to get a few of my other parts paid for first...haha...

MikeKanterakis
01-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah, my procrastination finally helped. I'm in.

Don't have to pay for shipping either. sweet!

Flex
01-29-2010, 09:55 PM
I will most likely take two as well. Seems like we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

MikeKanterakis
01-30-2010, 11:50 AM
It doesn't sound like anyone has ever done a realworld comparison in an SC before. I have the other style shorter condensor in my blue tbird and it works awesome. Art told me that the tube and fin one has more length of tubing/passageway for the freeon to travel through however it creates more backpressure or something. Ill let you know how this parallel flow works out for me.

Flex
01-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Cool. Please do.

SHEPP
02-02-2010, 03:21 PM
so exactly which one is best for southern heat, on a car with a FMIC (npr intercooler)? thanks in advance!

Pablo94SC
02-02-2010, 07:37 PM
I live in Memphis and went with the PF unit. No FMIC yet, but I don't expect it to perform worse than any other condenser would with an IC in front of it.

Pablo94SC
02-03-2010, 11:34 PM
I must have gotten a unit for an early model because the condenser I received is too tall to fit under the upper radiator support with the DS bracket, and the connections sit about 2" to far towards the passenger side, requiring modification of the frame rail for clearance. I'll be calling Art in the morning about this and see if this is a miscommunication between us or if it's something that will need to be addressed.

And I hoped to have the car back on the road this weekend. :(

ricardoa1
02-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Paul, I did not have to do any modifications . You wont be able to use the two upper brackets But you can move the left bottom busing and place it on the unit. To be honest mine fit like a glove under the top of the rad support. Do you have pics of the interference?

Pablo94SC
02-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Cliffs - I'll be taking a few pics today to show the interference and what I'm doing to get mine to fit.

Long - Spoke to Art and took a few measurements. The 94/95 condenser is ~1-3/4" from connector centerline to the edge of the upper mounting tab. The early models are more like ~2-1/4", if I recall correctly.

I should be able to adjust the mounting points on the condenser, so hopefully I'll be able to use the stock mounting locations on the PS. They are help on, on mine, with a rivet and sheet metal screw per. I'll be drilling out the rivets, moving the mount over one or two holes, then reattaching them using two screws.

It looks like I'll have to fab some sort of upper bracket for the DS since there is no way to reuse the bracket or rubber mount. Probably use a straight or angle bracket with a couple sheet metal screws to the radiator support and zip/core ties to the condenser.

I'm going to fix the lower rubber mount to the support with either some silicone adhesive or a sheet metal screw. More likely the latter.

I BE DO WORK SON!!! :D

ricardoa1
02-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Cliffs - I'll be taking a few pics today to show the interference and what I'm doing to get mine to fit.

Long - Spoke to Art and took a few measurements. The 94/95 condenser is ~1-3/4" from connector centerline to the edge of the upper mounting tab. The early models are more like ~2-1/4", if I recall correctly.

I should be able to adjust the mounting points on the condenser, so hopefully I'll be able to use the stock mounting locations on the PS. They are help on, on mine, with a rivet and sheet metal screw per. I'll be drilling out the rivets, moving the mount over one or two holes, then reattaching them using two screws.

It looks like I'll have to fab some sort of upper bracket for the DS since there is no way to reuse the bracket or rubber mount. Probably use a straight or angle bracket with a couple sheet metal screws to the radiator support and zip/core ties to the condenser.

I'm going to fix the lower rubber mount to the support with either some silicone adhesive or a sheet metal screw. More likely the latter.

I BE DO WORK SON!!! :D

Pics would be great, cause I am confused. Aside from not being able to use both upper bracket/bushings the unit fit right in. The lines should be flexible enough to reach. The lower busing has no where to go once the condenser is in the opening hole.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/FMICandCondenser002.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/FMICandCondenser003.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/FMICandCondenser001.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/FMICandCondenser005-1.jpg

Pablo94SC
02-04-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm reusing the stock PS mounting points, so that's causing the connections on the condenser to hit the frame. I'll post the pics once I'm done getting it installed. Now, back to lunch! :)

Pablo94SC
02-05-2010, 03:30 AM
Here are the pics. The first one shows what the problem was. As you can see, the mounting points on both condensers are aligned, but the connections on the new one were set about an inch too far over.

Second picture shows how it sat in the car after I removed the rivets that hold the mounts and moved them over one hole. Sat WAY too far inboard. You can see where I cut a part of the frame rail (or whatever it's called) to give me some room to work with.

Third pic just shows the two screws that I cut down so they wouldn't have a chance to rub the radiator. You'll see how tight of clearances I have in the next post (with additional pics).

I ended up drilling new holes in the mounting tab brackets so I could position the condenser properly. The fourth and fifth pictures show the final position and why I cut the frame rail. I have roughly 1-2mm of clearance. I removed more metal on the bottom of the rail to make sure nothing would rub. It's really that tight of a fit, plus it let me reroute the wiring harness (see next post).

Pablo94SC
02-05-2010, 03:54 AM
First two pics show initial test fits of the radiator. You can see just how close the connections to the condenser come to hitting the Griffin's mounting arm and the side of the radiator. You can also see how that arm all but pinches the wiring harness. Radiator got pulled and out came the die grinder.

Third pic shows how I attached the rubber flap from the old condenser to direct air to the radiator. Hopefully that will work well.

Fourth pic shows how the finished product basically looks. I ended up removing at least .1/4" from the radiator's arm to clearance the condenser connections. Also did some finagling with the wiring harness and routed it under the condensers tubing.

You can barely see the other old rubber flap mounted to the condenser. I tucked it against the frame to help air go through the condenser and not around it. Need to figure out a new way to keep air from going around the radiator now. The weatherstripping I had is toast and what's left doesn't quite cut the mustard.

The Griffin was the biggest pain in my arse. I have maybe 2mm of clearance between the side of radiator and the condenser's connections, and that was only because I did a little "massaging" of the condenser's tubing. I swear the lower mounting tabs are offset on the Griffin causing the entire radiator to sit at least 1/4" towards to PS. This causes all sorts of issues that both Dalke and I have had to deal with. Given the cost of the Griffin, that's ridiculous. If you want an aluminum, super capacity radiator, I'd go with the ones Duffy had made up (if they are available).

Kurt K
02-05-2010, 08:40 AM
I sure hope I don't run into these issues. Paul, looking at the pictures, I'm curious how the Griffin ever fit with the original condenser. Why did you have to shift the Griffin closer to the passenger side?

ricardoa1
02-05-2010, 11:06 AM
You insisted on using the upper mount, I would have shifted the lower mounts to follow the condenser and shift the condenser over. And have the lines come out where the they come out stock.

Your Griffin Rad is also causing major issues.

Pablo94SC
02-05-2010, 04:59 PM
I sure hope I don't run into these issues. Paul, looking at the pictures, I'm curious how the Griffin ever fit with the original condenser. Why did you have to shift the Griffin closer to the passenger side?

I don't think you'll have the issues I did. I wanted to use the PS factory mounts and if my radiator wasn't in the way, it would have been a much easier fit.

As for the original condenser, I had tape on the arm (like in the pic, old habits) and foam insulation between the connections and the radiator to keep things from rubbing.

I didn't move it over. I got the Griffin used but as far as I can tell, that's how it came from their factory. It's a serious pain in my arse.

You insisted on using the upper mount, I would have shifted the lower mounts to follow the condenser and shift the condenser over. And have the lines come out where the they come out stock.

Your Griffin Rad is also causing major issues.

I felt that would be the best option and honestly, drilling out the rivets and moving it over wasn't that big of a deal. If I had done it as you suggested, the condenser would have overhung the radiator. As it sits now, it's perfect.

My Griffin is a ~~~, but it sure does cool well!

shoalcracker
04-17-2010, 01:10 PM
With all your solid weather down there any performance feedback compared to factory system...

Only install issue was Griffen Rad issue...

Install would be for 90 XR7

Tks in advance

ricardoa1
04-17-2010, 06:17 PM
I charged mine up and seems to be pretty good in the performance dept.

Pablo94SC
04-18-2010, 09:23 PM
I haven't charged my system to test the A/C yet, but so far I haven't had any issues with the car running hot. Seems like it might run a tad cooler actually given that the radiator core isn't sealed around the sides nearly as well as I used to have it. I'll know more once it gets into the upper 90s and I start using the A/C. ;)

Pablo94SC
04-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Charged the system today and I have to say the parallel flow works great. Car only ran a tad warmer with the A/C on than without and got the cabin temps to around 68 with 80 degree outside temp and a lot of stop and go traffic. Only took 24oz of refrigerant to get up to full pressure. Seems low given the old system took 36oz. I didn't have the system professionally vacuumed prior to charging so there may be more oil than needed in the system. We'll see how she cools come August heat.

shoalcracker
04-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Thats good news.

Weather wise what you have is what we hope for.

Sounds like a winner.

Pablo94SC
04-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Drove a little more today with the temps about the same, but the humidity way up. A/C was even colder today than yesterday. The auto climate control started to turn the fan speed down from high to low with the temp set to 65. :D

KMT
07-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Just wanted to say that I finally got around to installing the narrower condenser and all is well.

The system was already using 134a - now getting 34 deg. at the center vents and 45 deg. far left/right when 95 deg. outside. 35th Anny (black of course) and this is welcome news. No noticeable change in engine temp.

Thanks again for making this happen - my IC thanks you too :)

ricardoa1
07-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Well long term use thru the summer from me got a A+ Just wanted to throw that in there.

rapper33142
08-01-2010, 12:28 PM
can i still get one and is the info still the same if i want one