V8 SHO bellhousing pattern

quick35th

Does anyone know what the bellhousing pattern is on the V8 SHO motors? I know all the regular and SHO V6's and svt contour share the same transmission bellhousing pattern. Is it the sbf pattern? If not does anyone know if there is a rwd tranny that will bolt up to the V8 SHO engine?

I am just getting ideas for a possible next project and looking at what is out there before I committ myself.

Shane

It is the same as the Duratec 2.5 and 3.0. The SHO V8 block is the same design as the 2.5 with 2 cylinders added on. SO, it has the same internal dimensions as the 2.5. No real performance parts are available but the are things that can be done to the engine. Check out www.shoforum.com and www.v8sho.com for more info.

I was not thinking about ultimate performance out of the engine, they are a fairly peppy high rpm engine, relatively light weight since its all aluminum, and compact in size relative to a dohc 4.6L. I was thinking it would be a killer engine swapped into a small light weight car that is rwd and I know just the car to put it in. Miata comes to mind :D

Shane

Miata= the easy way out/

Naa but I think doing a V8 that is not a 5.0L in a miata would be lots of fun to drive around town and in the country. Who cares if there is practically no mods for the engine it makes enough power stock that it would make any miata fun to drive.

Shane

The 3.4L SHO V8 had one major flaw which has done many of the engines in. The Cam gears were pressed onto the 4 camshafts. They would slip causing valve interference damage. They need to be welded. Otherwise you get lots of bent engine internals. The reason most of the 1996-99 SHO's went to the junk yard. Other than that, they were bullet proof like the 3.0/3.2 SHO's....
There isnt a RWD tranny that will bolt up. Only the AX4S/AX4N will work. The CD4E from the Contour/Mistique will never hold up. The Six speed from the Focus SVT would be fun to drive, I would think...
Im sure Advance Adaptors could come up with a solution for which ever RWD Transmission you wanted to use. They are not the cheap though....

Last edited:
I was not thinking about ultimate performance out of the engine, they are a fairly peppy high rpm engine, relatively light weight since its all aluminum, and compact in size relative to a dohc 4.6L. I was thinking it would be a killer engine swapped into a small light weight car that is rwd and I know just the car to put it in. Miata comes to mind :D

Shane

If I'm not mistaken it does have a cast iron block, but I could be wrong on that.

The only other real big issue with the stock 3.4 is the factory tuning. Ford programed the computer to allow more power based on vehicle speed (i.e. the faster you go the more power the engine puts out), they did that to protect the weak AN4X. What would be best in my opinion would be to use an aftermarket management system that way you get away from Fords law suit preventer.

ALSO, get the cams welded or it will be a short lived project.

If I'm not mistaken it does have a cast iron block, but I could be wrong on that.

The only other real big issue with the stock 3.4 is the factory tuning. Ford programed the computer to allow more power based on vehicle speed (i.e. the faster you go the more power the engine puts out), they did that to protect the weak AN4X. What would be best in my opinion would be to use an aftermarket management system that way you get away from Fords law suit preventer.

ALSO, get the cams welded or it will be a short lived project.

The torque reduction you mentioned is actually active in the SC's as well to save the AOD/4r70w's, which we usually remove when we are tuning the car. You don't need an after market management system installed in an SHO to remove that "feature".

Fraser

ok so if you want to stuff a v-8 in a small car why not a focus or cavie or something like that hell or even in a festiva lol.

Or you could do something like this that is completely pointless.
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/1532037692.html

Trying to imagine taking a honda four cylinder out of the the front of my CRX and putting a different honda 4 cylinder (Not even a VTEC 1.8) in the rear of my CRX. Then ask 5 grand for it, like I had something. But, Atleast it has a 4 gallon fuel cell.

I know this isn’t a ford but I have put a 1uz-fe 4.0l v8 toyota/Lexus in my 1999 Lexus es300 so now it a Lexus es400 and with a 5 speed manual with an lsd it just stock now but I have 2 of the motors so I will be rebuilding the other and adding some more hwp to it.

And now for the ford I took a stock st motor changed the head from a 2.0l ecoboost escape and an aftermarket turbo plus a tune shoved it back into the 2018 escape sel titanium along with the 6 speed trans with the lsd and put the PTU from the escape and regeared the rear ended to match the manual trans then lowered in with coilovers for the front from the focus st and some custom lower control arms for the rear and a custom done coilover shock for the rear the whole vehicle sits about 3 inches off the ground handled like a dream with lots of power. I put the recoro seats from the focus st in it and had the back seat reupholstered to match as the st seats had alacantra. Unfortunately I was t-boned by a drunk who ran a red light doing nearly 70mph and totaled it me and my friend walked away from it without a scratch. But the motor was destroyed in the accident. The drunk survived but was injured badly hit us with an older civic the escape was still on all for wheels one of the was completely torn off but my point was it didn’t roll it over like most suv the get t-boned

Back