Engine swap options?

nccatfan

Well, I guess this is where I'd post this question.
So I have an '89 SC 5-speed. Wondering why Ford would supercharge the problem-prone 3.8L to go in a high(er)-performance application (lousy head gaskets!)? Before I go thru the effort of replacing those gaskets I'd like to hear what ya'll think about maybe swapping in either a supercharged 5.0 or 4.6 (aka a Cobra-powered Super Coupe:cool:)? Which would you use and is there ANY way to get the Mustang 5-speed trans to work in the 'Bird?

if you check out TCCoA, there are plenty of guys running SC'ed 4.6L with little to no problems. That'd be the way I went. Granted, alot of them prefer the centrigual's because they produce more power overall.

And there are also plenty of threads on swapping in manual transmissions over there.

-Corey

The 3.8L problem prone? I've never had a problem with mine. Yeah sure, the hg's went several years ago when I first got the car, but I've never had the problem since, and I'm running ALOT more boost now than then.

Now convince me the 5.0L and the 4.6L motors had no problems at all, and no one has never had one of those motors fail in some way...hhhmmmmm I wonder what I would find using google :cool:.

A 3.8 can be built to be very reliable, and they can put out a decent amount of power cheaper than you could do a full V8 swap to get the same amount of power. If you want to go over 400rwhp then the price gap starts closing.

A motor is only going to last depending on how well it was looked after. The main reason for hg's to go in the SC'd 3.8 is detonation. People want to cheap out (and SC owner's are probably the worst for that) by running 87 octane fuel in it and still run 15% OD on a stock setup.... There is a reason for the manual stating 92 octane fuel, and that was based on no OD.

Take a factory 4.6 at 15psi of boost, run 87 octane in it, don't tune it, keep everything else stock and see how long it lasts.

Fraser

Fraser has a very good point. It honestly depends on how you want to make said power. I know the 4.6L's have had plenty of problems. Ever seen them grenade under boost? The carnage is awesome.

Honestly, the only reason I've ever thought about putting in a V8, is because I miss the sound of the V8's. But that's also why I've been searching for an unmolested 96-97. I don't want to ruin a perfectly good SC.

-Corey

I have a 91 xr7 with the 5.0HO from the mustang at the time.
Must say it has been the most trouble-free part of the car.

i like the super coupe to remain 3.8 powered. its boss. alot of the earlier 3.8sc automatic engines had head gasket problems... i had my block milled and heads done right and that problem will be non existent.

dose anyone here have a 1995-1997 Bird? and is the seat bolt pattern the same?

rob

Oh well, was just an idea... and I was sure that I wasn't the first to think it. There's another 'Bird in the family with the NA 4.6L that's been very good to us. 284,xxx miles, but she's dieing a slow death on me (the whole nickel and dime scenario).

Also, swapping ought to give me access to more available parts... still haven't seen any new tensioner assemblies for sale (Autozone says its a dealer part, Ford says its discontinued!). Same thing for the fan control relay/module.

i have 5 birds, 4 of which are supercoupes with the stock eaton powered 6 and my 92 is in the process of a 408 turbo behind the 5spd :eek:

you know my suggestion, no replacement for displacement

My sc was very well taken care of well maintained 1 owner car that puked the headgaskets at 90k, I bought it with 114k and it spun a rod bearing at 150k always ran premium no mods other than K&N filter IC fan and a 5% blower pulley. Rebuilt the engine drove 20k miles blew the headgaskets again! I bought my mustang with 130k on it (4.6) and now have 230k and have ran the absolute crap out of it! 750 miles a week redlined at least once a day if not more :) Only thing ive had to do to it was replace the intake a week after i bought it the plastic coolant crossover took a crap. did the PI intake swap and called it done. The car itself is not nearly as well built as the SC but the engine is a million times more reliable and performs just as well as a stockish sc if not a little better and all on 87 octane. i dont know about putting a blower on a NA 4.6 and it holding up but my buddy put an ATI procharger on his and ran it for 4 years with 12psi before if finaly chucked a rod(high mile engine internaly stock) From a reliability standpoint the NA 4.6 is ALOT better than a SC'd 3.8 power potential is less BUT if you want a engine you can abuse daily without wrenching on it 4.6 is the way to go. I consider them as reliable and tough as the old 300-6! ive seen many 200k+ 4.6s abused and not maintained properly still running strong! Ive thought about swapping a v8 into mine but unless a wrecked 03 cobra ends up in my hands i dont see it happening :) Replace your headgaskets its a pain but not that bad... do yourself a favour and replace your rod and main bearings while its apart so you dont have a spun rod bearing in a couple years..

I'm a hot rodder / engine swapper type so I would swap to something I felt was more reliable and fun. I agree with Decipha, adding displacement makes the engine's job easier since it is in effect a larger lever moving the same mass. In my opinion the ford 3.8 (SC or NA) is not the most reliable method to make power on this planet nor is it the least expensive engine to rebuild or upgrade. Personally I find the car it came in to be pretty cool and ahead of it's time and this makes it difficult for me to write off these cars for something else.

As an SC 5 speed some would say restore it because they are semi rare, but that is all up to you. I have a non SC V6 I swapped a V8 in and haven't been happier since. With swapping engines you have to determine what your realistic goals are, and what you are honestly capable of. Do you want AC and full drivability / reliability, fuel mileage, a strip bruiser or something between? Does the hood have to close and look stock or are you willing to run a scoop? etc, etc.

Good luck on whatever you choose. :D

Well, I was thinking of keeping it the "daily driver" type of car... with the ability to really go on a spur of the moment. Haven't really hot-rodded my 'Bird yet (don't feel it to be mechanically sound enough). And if I do go thru with the swap it WILL be supercharged (don't like false advertising!). So if a Cobra engine falls into my lap, it will go in my 'Bird. I like the top-mounted spark plugs too... couldn't believe some of the cramps I got while changing out the V6 plugs!

Back