PDA

View Full Version : sc acting weird... please help

custom bird
01-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Ok so iv had problems with the car idleing so i researched it and i checked the idel control valve it was bad so i replaced it and the car started right up and idled perfect. i drove it for a little while and when it wormed up it started doing it again. and when i accelerate i get a vibration through the steering wheel. i just replaced the belts too i felt the sc pully after i drove it and it was acting up and the pully was quite a bit hotter than the other pullys is it possible that the sc is bogging the motor down at an idle . or is their something else i should check? i just bought the car so i dont know when the plugs were last replaced. it seems to run better when its cold. Im going to pull the engine soon to rebuild but i would like to get it running perfect before i do so.

95_XR7
01-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Idle is weird? What is exactly wrong with the idle? Rough idle, surging idle etc etc?

As far as the vibration when driving. If it were me, I'd check driveline mounts. (i.e. motor, tranny, crossmember mounts.) I toasted the tranny mount in the '94 and that thing shuddered all the time.

custom bird
01-03-2010, 03:47 AM
it dies sorry about that it will surge then die and it only vibrates when its running like crap when she is ideling good she doesnt shimmy or vibrate at all. its a wierd problem. but i will look at the mounts.

95_XR7
01-03-2010, 04:33 AM
it dies sorry about that it will surge then die and it only vibrates when its running like crap when she is ideling good she doesnt shimmy or vibrate at all. its a wierd problem. but i will look at the mounts.

Check my username for all threads I've made. I had a problem with my '94 SC and created a few threads titled "surging".
That's the only thing I can think of.

David Neibert
01-03-2010, 10:39 AM

Sounds like a vacuum leak.

David

thirdbird
01-03-2010, 01:17 PM
i just bought the car so i dont know when the plugs were last replaced. it seems to run better when its cold. Im going to pull the engine soon to rebuild but i would like to get it running perfect before i do so.

Congrats on your car and welcome!
There is quite a bit of information here about getting codes from the eec and rebuilding and all that stuff here.
The likelihood of you getting it running well at this point is moot if you are going to do a rebuild anyway.
The vibration under load you are describing could be a firing/ignition issue, it could be a head gasket, there are many sensors that cause problems when they start to fail.
This car is a great teacher you will be better for fixing it for sure!

paul

custom bird
01-03-2010, 06:50 PM
i found a vacume leak and fixed it my vacume gage is at 18 to 22. i also found an oil leak so next week im going to fix that replace spark plugs and wires and continue searching for vacume leaks.

I was searching for the leaks with carb cleaner and after i fixed the first one i was spraying by the intake manifold looking for a change in idel and the car died didnt even stumble like normal just shut off. could that be a coincidence or did i find a big leak. i wasnt able to do it again because the car wouldnt idel again after that. thanks for the help.

custom bird
01-05-2010, 11:37 PM
so i pulled the plugs and its hard to belive that the car ran at all. While i got the car apart im replacing the valve cover gaskets because one was leaking. If it fixes the idle problem ill be happy and let you all know.:)

Motohead
01-06-2010, 10:56 AM
so i pulled the plugs and its hard to belive that the car ran at all. While i got the car apart im replacing the valve cover gaskets because one was leaking. If it fixes the idle problem ill be happy and let you all know.:)

Poast photos of the plugs try to get a shot looking down into the barrel of the plug Maby some experts will give you a read.

Kurt Sunday
01-06-2010, 11:40 AM
valve cover gaskets are usually okay - just tighten the bolts.

custom bird
01-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Ok ill try to post pics of the plugs tonight. I just bought the car and the guy told me when i bought it that he tightened them but when i put the car up on a lift i could see that it was still leaking so im going to put a felpro ruber gasket in their replace the plugs, thermostat and belts. and hopefully she will idel for me. i should be done in the next day or two depending on when i get off work.

micah_jones
01-11-2010, 03:58 PM
My car was surging and dying like you are describing a few weeks ago. I bought a 3 dollar bottle of fuel injector cleaner and after a half of tank of gas, the problem was gone. Its a cheap thing thats worth a shot in my opinion?