cat replace quote

kneedragger25

so I went to get the bird smogged today and it failed the guy told me I need two cats so I went to get a quote at a local muff shop and they said 459 with parts and laber and I asked how lonh it would take and he said no longer than an hour the cats can't cost that much and most shops laber rate is 89 an houris he overcharging me or not

Cats are about $50-80 a piece and my exhaust guy charges $65 an hour.

Yes that shop is very overpriced.

Shouldn't cost more than $250 total including parts.

yep, if you know how, buying the parts and a cheap wire welder is still cheaper than what they quoted you. depending on the year/trans option of your car, you actually could have THREE cats. :eek:

all supercoupes came with 3 cats at least all of mine

Well all of mine came with 2-cats, 1-resonator, 2-mufflers...
and a partridge in a pear treeeeeee

Dude your in Hawthorne shop around at one of the more ...well i don't know how to say it without sounding racist.
Mexican muffler shops.
See the problem is that they have to make new down tubes for both sides too. But shop around you'll see the prices will vary greatly. Head to the areas around some of the parts yards around you. they always have those little shops around. Just watch em do the job, crank it up when its still in the air, listed and look for leaks and be done with it.
Tony

yup 2 cats 1 res and 2 muffs. another shop told me about 215 a side but they said they need to look at it but that was with the 45 degree cats, I told them I want inline cats. I have a 90 amp fluw welder but it sux bad. I know how to weld and would if I have to use clamp on cats that way once smog is done clamp on straight pipes. Im also waitin00g for my coworker to come to work he used to be a smog tech so im going to ask him if he knows of any smog shops that will help me pass without the cats. I though my shop did that cause they passed my 76 trooper but I guess they dont do it that way anymore. ok one more question. I bought the car in november and the tags were due december but the cr wasnt running just got it runnin as of late will I be able to get that red sticker I put on my rear window as an extension?

go to supercoupeperformance.com and pick up some downtubes with magnaflow cats. all i use is a 90 amp flux welder, and i can get the job done. doesnt have to be pretty, just has to flow and not leak.

too much...... :eek:

ok guys so I found a shop next to my work that will pass my car for 150 he wants 290 to replace the cats so I said just pass it ill remove the cats on my own and replace with straight pipes

Just go to rock auto and get the whole front section, just saw it last night, cats and all. for 379 and bolt it in yourself.

or... like said get some magna flow or what ever replacement cats from ebay (have used them and yes they are real magnaflow product) and weld them in your self.

Back