1990 Supercoupe door hindges

Richard Metzger

Would someone,in detail please explain to me what is totaly involved in changing the upper and lower door hindges on my 1990 Supercoupe,Please I have a Ford Motor Company 1990 0nly Tbird/Cougar service manual,but the details are very vague.Any and all help would be greatly appericated.Thank you ,to whom it may concern in advance. I finallygot in! My first post!
Sincerely,
Richard Metzger
r-jmetzger@verizon.net

The rebuild kits available from Ford require you to remove the pin, redrill the holes, and insert a bushing, and then a new pin. Also, I would open the door a ways to allow you room to work and place a wood block on your jack and support the door while working on it. OK?

The rebuild kits available from Ford require you to remove the pin, redrill the holes, and insert a bushing, and then a new pin. Also, I would open the door a ways to allow you room to work and place a wood block on your jack and support the door while working on it. OK?

Thats the way I have done all the ones I have done, including gm and chrysler cars. Also I usually do them one hinge at a time so the door is still attached to the car. As far as replacing the hinge as a whole i have never done it on a bird so I couldn't tell you.

hate to say this but the upper hinge the nut that holds it on the inside of the car is an absolute whore. I've heard somewhere you can remove the gauge cluster to reach it without removing the dash?
I got a set of upper and lowers with new pins and bushings for sale.
Also, if the hinge itself becomes oblong from lots of wear you will need a new one or you will replacing the bronze bushings constantly.

Thanks for all the imput.Driver door has replacement pins and bushings(worn).I bought new hindges from Ford so I have obligated myself. In reference to removing the dash cluster,what is involved,and other precautions?Also any imput on the lower hindges,and the upper passenger side as well?Thanks again,in advance!Richard

Removing the instrument cluster is pretty easy....:D

Remove plastic 2 piece collar and trim ring from steering column.....

Remove two screws on the upper side of the dash bezel along with the head light knob and any wiring that is connected to the bezel (be careful pulling the bezel out as the clips that hold it in place can grab and get bent :mad:)....

Remove screws holding the instrument cluster to the dash.....

There are two large ribbon connectors on the back of the cluster (one is pretty easy to remove and the other can be a real pain)...

Remove the hose for the boost gauge and the cluster should come right out....

I've done the Drivers upper and it is a pain (figure several hours for this).

If your hinge is not too bad you should be able to do all the work without removing the hinge. Drill the hinge out knock it out and drill for bushing.

hinge pins

The way I did mine was top first, removed bolts to door, loosen bottom bolts to door and support door, some help here would be good, or if you can figure how to prop the door without damage, pull the top of the door away a bit and I cut the pin in middle with a hacksaw blade and gloves, punched out pieces, new pin and bushings came from aftermarket Ford door pin pack $8.00 X 2, pin is longer and uses a circlip, bottom hinge isn't a big deal, just have to get the nut on the inside, still can't figure out the reason for that, aligned the door.

That is the basic idea if you only need to replace pin and bushings if need to actually replace the hinge its a bit more involved.

Basically need to remove instrument console and head light switch shove your hand and 13mm wrench and remove the nut be careful not to drop it.

Bleeding is not required but highly suggested.

Back