sc may be going bye bye for a supra

scmaniac

i was doing some research on mk3 supras and damn they can run high 13s by just doing boost controller and exhaust not to mention everything is like half the cost compared to a sc.

Well.. 1/4 mile times aren't the only reason that we're enthusiasts. Performance is just part of the appeal. This car is a comfortable cruiser with a punch, not a rice rocket.

Those are very cool cars. That's the difference between a sports car (exceptional one) and a muscle car/cruiser. However, and I hate to use this arguement, you can't buy a good one for nearly the cost of an SC in equally good shape. THIS is the time to be buying SC's 89-93.

Oops, I reread your post. Thought you meant MK IV. They're in upper 13's stock. ;) Still, I like a car that's more versatile. I still think the SC would be cheaper, and I have a hard time believing that import parts are cheaper. I know they were expensive for the Celica and RX7 I had--and that was 10 years ago. There are more parts on a car than aftermarket go-fast goodies, and that's where you cough up bucks you hate to give up. If not the SC, I'd buy a GN. Which I plan to do one day to have right next to the SC. Supra's, to me, are more for track racing, not drag. Good cars though.

Here's some Supra fun for ya:

http://www.imagestation.com/video/play.html?id=4257410458

Looks like fun doesn't it? Drifting, not bad racing. It's intentional. ;)

Last edited:
Hello

Hello,
My son (3yrs old) and I just returned from a trip to New Mexico from Nor Cali which was 2K miles roundtrip. I would rather take the trip in an SC. Ok, it did help to have a DVD player and visor screen he he he.The Supra may be quick but you sure do get more for your money with these cars. I'd rather spend the extra bones to make my SC run 13 sec and still have a car that I can take on a 2K Mile Cruz.
Laterz,
D Rainer

NRCLSC.bmp

I like them both. Not sure which I would choose if given a choice. The Supra's are fairly expensive though.

supra targa though

but they have targa tops so that makes them better for crusin i think at least in the summer i used to have a stang convertible and i miss dropping the top thats another appealing factor y im thinking about going with a supra

i may also switch to a supra

i may also switch to a supra i absolutly love those car
Heres the 95 that im looking at twin turbo 3.0L

pic29.jpg

Todd

Considering my Eclipse was built in ILLINOIS with AMERICANS building this car i have to say YOUR argument is weak.. And please tell us where the term rice comes from.. Since you're sooooooooo smart and know everything :rolleyes: I always thought rice defined the owner and driver of the car not the actual car..

Really.. Considering its a MAZDA tranny i would say you just dont get it.. Still havent told me what your definition of rice is..

Re: Oh well!

dirtybird91 said:
Also since you are a rocket scientist just tell me where the parts came from to manufacter that ricebox Mitsubishi???:confused:

Dood wtf do the parts have anything to do with this? If thats the case then we can define almost EVERY CAR built in the US as rice... Please as i said before your argument for rice is WEAK.. Actually i have a feeling you dont know what rice is period.. You just think every car that has a Japanese label is rice.. If thats the case then once again i suggest you go look over your definiton of rice..

I don't consider a Supra to be rice. They are one of the best looking and fastest cars to come out of Japan. Nissan Skyline, Dodge Stealth, Mitsi 3000 GT, Nissan 300 Z twin turbo...none of these are rice.

Rice is a Honda Civic, Prelude or similar car with a big a$$ spoiler/wing on the trunk lid and neon underneath. Most are all show and no go, but a few will run circles around an SC. And lets not forget the American rice...Cavilers and Sunfires.

My son in law bought a 94 twin turbo Supra a few months back and the car has one of the best looking body styles since the SC was invented. Not to mention it's scary fast. With only a boost controller they will run mid 12s.

David

Im a canadian

Im a canadian and i hate rice. If's its made in Japan its rice, bottom line. If u want a car thats fast, buy a real car. If u want a supra to drive it all the power to u, just dont think its gonna be some rocket. I hate when guys race jap crap. Spend half the money on an american car and make it twice as fast. Nuff said.

Let's behave...

The Term "rice" was originally given to the fast motorcyles coming from japan in the 60's. They were called "rice rockets". Also, in some areas of the US "Rice eater" has been used as slang to degrade asian americans.

So it was natural to expect that when Bryan Hong coined the term "Rice Boy" he recieved alot of flak from both the asian (AzYiAn) and non-asian communities.

So, Here is the deal, First off Dennis is NOT a rice-boy. He used to own an SC and may do so again some day (You know you can't stay away dennis!!), he chose the Mitsu-eclipse because he wanted a fast little race car. ANd the car does in fact speak for itself. He's poured his BST (Blood Sweat and Tears) in to that car along with his knowledge.

A "rice-boy" could in fact own the same exact car but instead, begged his parents for more mod's for his car. Put them on his car and wouldn't know if they were good or not, just succumb to the mass marketing of performance parts (ex. 15 bhp from a K+N filter).

As far as the arguement that a Japanese car is "Rice". Probably not, unless it is owned by a "Rice-Boy". "Rice" just refers the "tricked" out car the "rice-boy" owns. Everyone else just drives a lame import. :)

What dennis truly is is a "Japanese Import Enthusiast". He knows his car and he uses his knowledge to extract the most from it, rather than his wallet or pride.

I have respect for "enthusiasts", I have little respect for "Rice-boys" or "Kraut-boys".

I do agree that Purchasing a Imported car does impact the American Economy negatively. The profits, will profit a foreign corp and not anything in America. Yes, DSM did throw us a bone by opening up a factory here in America, but the only reason why is because it was CHEAPER for the corporation.

An import is still an Import if it was designed in another country and commisioned for sale here in the states. All of the parts could be manufactured here and assembled here, but it is still an Import.

I'm an American car enthusiast, not a "corn-boy" :)

My 2 cents....

First off, I am no rice sympathsizer(read-supporter of foriegn economies before our own), hell, and as for patriotism, small town right winger with a taste of reality...I can take most moderates and make them look like communists(not to offend any communists out there) Blind patiotism abounds is the message here...but I digress...The Supra is a quick car that can be made very fast...anyone who has seen "Getaway in Stokholm" WILL attest to that. Some of the BPU's are well over 750hp at the wheels and still very streetable without spraying that funny stuff. They are tasteful, refined and out of the price range of most as a toy. If I could afford another toy it would certainly look great next to the SC and Vette. Good luck finding one, although I think this thread started with a Gen III...a bit less car for a lot less money...no need to dump the SC...just start expanding the herd!

Anthony

Last edited:
Back