How much power on just 93octane?

ricardoa1

What is ideal boost for a big headed big cammed and all supporting hardware and a heaton while only using 93 octane?

And what is the max HP expected from it.

What is ideal boost for a big headed big cammed and all supporting hardware and a heaton while only using 93 octane?

I'm no expert by far but I'd say 20lbs of boost and 390 rwhp on 93 octane.

When a local tuner tried to tune my car last year, with my current mods he could only get 320 rwhp, that run had 19.5 lbs of boost. He only put 20 degrees of timing in it, he didn't go any higher, and didn't turn off the knock sensor, he was basically stumped. From what we know now my knock sensor should have been turned off and a few more degrees of timing tried to see what the results would be. So if I had 20 degrees of timing and the knock sensor was pulling 8 degrees then it looks like I was pulling 320 with 12 or so degrees of timing, if that sounds possible. I'm now getting ready to install my new, much bigger cam, .520/.520 lift to .588/.600 lift and get retuned except this time I have some info I gathered from DD to relay to the local tuner to help him get the most out of engine. In short I'm hoping for my numbers to be around 375 rwhp on motor and 450 rwhp with nitrous on 93 octane gas.

Last edited:
I'm no expert by far but I'd say 20lbs of boost and 390 rwhp on 93 octane.

When a local tuner tried to tune my car last year, with my current mods he could only get 320 rwhp, that run had 19.5 lbs of boost. He only put 20 degrees of timing in it, he didn't go any higher, and didn't turn off the knock sensor, he was basically stumped. From what we know now my knock sensor should have been turned off and a few more degrees of timing tried to see what the results would be. So if I had 20 degrees of timing and the knock sensor was pulling 8 degrees then it looks like I was pulling 320 with 12 or so degrees of timing, if that sounds possible. I'm now getting ready to install my new, much bigger cam, .520/.520 lift to .588/.600 lift and get retuned except this time I have some info I gathered from DD to relay to the local tuner to help him get the most out of engine. In short I'm hoping for my numbers to be around 375 rwhp on motor and 450 rwhp with nitrous on 93 octane gas.

You have the snow kit dont you. I am trying to avoid getting one and maximizing the car to run on 93 octane. I dont want to have to open the hood at every fill up to check if I ran out of Alky mix.

You have the snow kit dont you. I am trying to avoid getting one and maximizing the car to run on 93 octane. I dont want to have to open the hood at every fill up to check if I ran out of Alky mix.

No snow kit, just a big i/c and nitrous.

Wasent my car at the time but I believe this was done on 93 Hard to read but with a 100 shot 532RWHP 644 RWTQ non nos 410 RWHP 487 RWTQ thats with a M90 ported by ESM spun 20%-25%(Cant remember might have been 30%) OD through a Liquid IC the 100 shot numbers may be off as the car spun on the dino

Attachments

• Dino.jpg
    Dino.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 98
I did a bunch of simulations a few years back and the best peak HP ratings I could get out of the engine were in the realm of 492bhp. This is all going on memory so I may be wrong, but I don't recall any engine combo I put into the simulator making high peak HP after 5600rpm without massive fall off, no matter how "big" of a cam I selected. In fact, I think the highest RPM I ever achieved before the numbers tanked completely was 6200rpm.

This makes me want to reinstall the software and run some more simulations.

Ideal - 16 psi and 337 rwhp (no snow). :)

Without a snow kit 330-340 and no more than 19 psi. I believe that as boost goes up timing goes down and the benefits of higher psi are negligible.

Wasent my car at the time but I believe this was done on 93 Hard to read but with a 100 shot 532RWHP 644 RWTQ non nos 410 RWHP 487 RWTQ thats with a M90 ported by ESM spun 20%-25%(Cant remember might have been 30%) OD through a Liquid IC the 100 shot numbers may be off as the car spun on the dino

I though the best ever recorded was 395 rwhp with an Eaton.

Mike,

The 410 rwhp was actual HP (uncorrected) the SAE corrected HP was about 395. I was there when the pulls were made and I think it's still the most power I've seen from an M90 based blower. This was also done with a non locking AOD.

David

Last edited:
Paul,

The 410 rwhp was actual HP (uncorrected) the SAE corrected HP was about 395. I was there when the pulls were made and I think it's still the most power I've seen from an M90 based blower. This was also done with a non locking AOD.

David

Turn in a few dyno sheets to the SCCoA garage. I shouldn't be in the top 5 with a measly 349 rwhp. ;)

Will Smith also hit 395 with a 5-speed and MPx.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99539

the liquid to air IC allows you to drop CT below ambient. But that Involves alotta ice. I would say tune your car on the edge then add a lil alchy injection just as a precaution. if you use you rwindow wiper resevios and window washer fluid...Youll always know when you need to refill. Really isnt all that much a hassle to add a lil washer fluid when you fill up anyhow

Turn in a few dyno sheets to the SCCoA garage. I shouldn't be in the top 5 with a measly 349 rwhp. ;)

Will Smith also hit 395 with a 5-speed and MPx.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99539

At the time (2003) that was the number one car and still holds the 1 2 position 1TQ 2 HP the car no longer exists in that configuration. (When it runs again it will have a 2.3ltr whipple) For the M-90 that may be the pinnacle HP/TQ of all time. Dave do you remember how fast Chris was spinning the blower?

Mike,

David

395.... Tell Chris I want my money back :)

How much power you can make and how much power you can make safely are two entirely different things. About the most power you can make safely on pump gas and an M90 is about 340-350. Above that it's not a matter of the M90 not being able to move the air, it's a matter of making too much cylinder pressure in the mid range, and too much heat in the upper ranges. Because of this you either have to reduce OD on the blower or reduce timing in the tune. Personally I'd rather reduce OD and run the proper timing but that's just me. It can be done with relative success either way.

Alcohol injection will allow you to run 360-370rwhp with relative safety. 380-400rwhp is possible for bragging rights but you'll never have a motor that will last at that power level because you will get detonation and that will kill the motor eventually.

At the time (2003) that was the number one car and still holds the 1 2 position 1TQ 2 HP the car no longer exists in that configuration. (When it runs again it will have a 2.3ltr whipple) For the M-90 that may be the pinnacle HP/TQ of all time. Dave do you remember how fast Chris was spinning the blower?

Bob,

I think it was around 26% OD...same as when he sold you the car.

David

Well I am looking for reliable HP It is not in the plans to make this car a race car. I am even thinking about dropping the high boosting M112 off the list because I dont want to run the Alky injection. But I want the most out if the set up.

Dave likes to underdrive the blower and add timing. But doesnt bottom end suffer when you dont have those high cylinder pressures? If the same thing can be acomplished HP wise, why not run more OD and less timing so you have more bottom end TQ while making the same peak HP.

Im just trying to know what road to take, What is a good target boost? And timing numbers.

I think this is the road most SC owners will be forced to take because of unavailable kits. Id like to get the most I can out the M90 with just 93 octane. And when the posts about swapping V8s come up I can say i did this to have this when this is what I spent. This is the only SC I have had that I have not changed things around 4-5 times to get to goals, Id like this car to have a direct purpose and goal. It wont be new news since its been done before and 350hp wont even raise an eyebrow anymore but if the car makes the goal then we can say follow this path and this is what you can get with this amount of money.

Enough rambling.

The car is torn apart, the engine is comming out and hopefully a new SCU rebuild with stronger parts that dont break the bank will go in.

I will then drive the car when complete and set a fix depreciation value. And after 5 year or less compare it to what I would have done if I had bought that new Genesis.

I think even with a new engine I will come out ahead with this car in term of coolness and power and expense. Maybe releability will be the only factor not helping but I am changing all of the important parts so Nothing big should happen right? :cool::rolleyes:

If the same thing can be acomplished HP wise, why not run more OD and less timing so you have more bottom end TQ while making the same peak HP.

I thought I heard in some circumstances when you lower OD your HP increases and your torque decreases. Dalke please correct me on this :)

Ricardo,

I thought you already scored a twin screw blower for your 94 SC, or is this new motor and blower setup for use with your 35th anniv. SC :confused:

David

Ricardo,

I thought you already scored a twin screw blower for your 94 SC, or is this new motor and blower setup for use with your 35th anniv. SC :confused:

David

What you want to be the only guy with more than one high powered SC? I think Rico was jealous. :p

Back