3.8 Aluminum Block

Cyboman

Does anyone know if an aluminum 3.8 block was ever made? If so, who makes it and how is availability? Thanks.

Michael

Right about now is when a guy from Pollock Pines, Ca used to chime in and tell us that he has one and that his father chiseled it out with a couple of toothpicks just for him. Its the only one out there. A real special deal for serious racers...LOL

i totally have one how did you know my grandpa did that for me? lol im pushing 500 hp with my electric supercharger

Last edited:
Right about now is when a guy from Pollock Pines, Ca used to chime in and tell us that he has one and that his father chiseled it out with a couple of toothpicks just for him. Its the only one out there. A real special deal for serious racers...LOL

did someone actually come up with that story?

did someone actually come up with that story?

A certain individual who is no longer on the boards always talked about having a special M90 and was the fastest MN12, etc etc. Always had special one off parts, and that type of crap.

Well, when it came down to it, everytime he was challenged he couldn't provide proof. Same went for his time-slips and claim that he had the fastest M90 based, stock IRS MN12.

-Corey

Why is it that both Buick and Chevy have aluminum V6 blocks but there isn't one for the Ford? Our V6 has been in millions of cars across Ford's line of vehicles for decades...

Don't you guys want an all aluminum 3.8/4.2 in your SC? I do! It would take weight off the car right where we need it: over the front end.

Does anybody know of anyone who has started this type of project and maybe didn't finish it?, or heard about the rumored few 'one offs' - maybe Ford made a few for their racers, etc.?

Let's hear your voices. If there are enough, maybe one WILL be made!

Michael

Why is it that both Buick and Chevy have aluminum V6 blocks but there isn't one for the Ford? Our V6 has been in millions of cars across Ford's line of vehicles for decades...

Don't you guys want an all aluminum 3.8/4.2 in your SC? I do! It would take weight off the car right where we need it: over the front end.

Does anybody know of anyone who has started this type of project and maybe didn't finish it?, or heard about the rumored few 'one offs' - maybe Ford made a few for their racers, etc.?

Let's hear your voices. If there are enough, maybe one WILL be made!

Michael

imo, im happy the block is not aluminum, with as much as the head gaskets fail that would cause for more money to fix it then getting the block resurfaced every time. i hate like heck to say this but chevy made aluminum blocks out of theres because they didnt have any problems with the engines. they dont have any v-6's that are worth anything for high performance though. so hhmmm high performance and have to change head gaskets from time to time or weak but never has any problems. you decide. if your so insistent on an aluminum block then get a 4.3 and a paxton sc. :) i havent seen those in person but have heard they run well.

imo, im happy the block is not aluminum, with as much as the head gaskets fail that would cause for more money to fix it then getting the block resurfaced every time. i hate like heck to say this but chevy made aluminum blocks out of theres because they didnt have any problems with the engines. they dont have any v-6's that are worth anything for high performance though. so hhmmm high performance and have to change head gaskets from time to time or weak but never has any problems. you decide. if your so insistent on an aluminum block then get a 4.3 and a paxton sc. :) i havent seen those in person but have heard they run well.

You don't consider the sc 3.8s, the turbo buicks or the 4.3l "worth anything for high performance". I would say GM has a fairly decent performance V6 following.

That being said, if someone had enough money an aluminum block could be made. Do any of the front wheel drive ford cars or vans have an aluminum block. You can do alot in a machine shop if you know what you are doing. Like the 5.4l aluminum block from the ford gt they are machining to go in lighting pickups and such.

How about some proper heads and an intake manifold first? The stock block is plenty tough and it is not what is holding back the performance of our package to date.

I would like an aluminum block primarily for lighter weight over the front end. I've had both front and mid engined cars, and weight distribution is the key for better balance and handling (which in turn makes the car safer - and more fun - to drive at speed).

Aluminum and steel expand at different rates when heating and cooling, which further exasperates the head gasket issue. If both block and heads were the same material, they would expand and contract at similar rates easing this issue. An aluminum block can be designed with the HG issue in mind, virtually eliminating that problem.

In regard to better heads, what about the Split Port heads? I hear they flow very well, even on the exhaust side, when properly ported.

Michael

I would like an aluminum block primarily for lighter weight over the front end. I've had both front and mid engined cars, and weight distribution is the key for better balance and handling (which in turn makes the car safer - and more fun - to drive at speed).

Aluminum and steel expand at different rates when heating and cooling, which further exasperates the head gasket issue. If both block and heads were the same material, they would expand and contract at similar rates easing this issue. An aluminum block can be designed with the HG issue in mind, virtually eliminating that problem.

In regard to better heads, what about the Split Port heads? I hear they flow very well, even on the exhaust side, when properly ported.

Michael

Michael, All valid points, but MLS gaskets have now fixed our HG woes. With that taken care off there is less worring about the block when it is iron, it is not what is holding us back. If you want better weight distribution, get a Fiberglass hood and relocate the battery to the trunk. That will save about the same about of weight that an Alum block can do, we only have 6 cylinders this is not a huge big block V8. All of your questions and inquires have been asked before, over and over again, this forums is over 12 years old. Trust me its been asked and no viable solutions were executed, and none will at this point.

Get a rally going for better heads and intake for our cars, it is the road block we are facing in terms of HP. If you want weight redux do a search there are alot of ideas out there, you will sacrifice comfort in some cases but trust me everything about these cars have been touched, discussed before.

Last edited:
not much difference...

The 3.8L v6 sc block itself does not weigh much more (if at all) than a 2.5L I4 common block chrysler made.. Go with the hood you will make a better dent in front end weight. There are tubular K members around here too.

or cuting out the front crash bumper thats 25lbs.

It would be sweet to have an aluminum block, not sure what the weight savings would be, but i'd like better heads and intake first.

Maybe a head and block combo with more head bolt holes around the cylinders.

or cuting out the front crash bumper thats 25lbs.

It would be sweet to have an aluminum block, not sure what the weight savings would be, but i'd like better heads and intake first.

Maybe a head and block combo with more head bolt holes around the cylinders.

I'd much rather have a better flowing set of heads and matching intake manifold that was designed to accept a liquid IC core and a bottom discharge blower for an 03/04 Cobra motor.

David

I'd much rather have a better flowing set of heads and matching intake manifold that was designed to accept a liquid IC core and a bottom discharge blower for an 03/04 Cobra motor.

David

ill second and third that. bring on the new intake and heads. to be completely honest here though. has anyone ever sat down to right up a real letter to submit to ford and actually insured that someone that makes decisions at ford ever received it? something my girl friend was very afraid of 2 years ago when she first met me and now she has come to like this about me. i live by the thinking that you will for sure never get anything if you dont ask, if you do ask whats the worst that could happen, your told NO. if its on my mind ill ask it. i have alot of things and been to alot of places because i did what most people wont do. I ASKED. heck my first ride in a black hawk was 1.5 years ago. i just walked up to the pilot and said(hey think theres any chance i could go for a ride with ya's) the reply was go get some coveralls, you have 5 min.

now taking into mind that this forum is what, 12 years old now? thats 12 years of experience and thought on this platform. 12 years of figuring out how to make it better. ill bet my left nut that no one at ford has looked at this platform for even half that time and without a fraction of the members as this forum. instead of just sitting back and wishing for something better we should band together and make up actual blueprints, documented thoughts, experiences, do and donts, a great presentation, and designate someone with good political skills to present all this to Ford motor co. after all whats the worst they could say NO, well what if they dont say NO?
just my 2 cents on the topic:)

Back