DOHC V6 Alternatives

Cyboman

Has anyone transplanted, or investigated the possibility of a more modern V6 for the SC? Ford's Duratec 3.5 V6 looks like a good candidate.

Michael

Most people swap motors to make more power. Since you can already make over 400 rwhp with an SC 3.8 motor, switching to a v8 is usually the next step.

David

it would be for fuel efficiency not power. A twin turbo eco boost..Well that be nice..Especially mated to the 6 speed auto.

Unfortunately, that is a FWD engine platform though. Would be a neat project if it were possible. Problem is that a new engine like the TT 3.5 would cost 4-5 times what the car is worth. Let alone the transmission problem and the wiring and electronics to make it work.

Why not do a 4.6 3V? It's a lot easier to find stand alone controllers for the V8 engines from the research I've done.

Anything can be done with enough money and time.

I'm looking at this from an enthusiast standpoint, not what it's worth (because we'll never get our money out of them anyway). I'd like to keep the original 'flavor' of the SC's V6, yet get better mileage, smog control, and power output (with a supercharger). I'd also like to mate a 6spd manual to it. To wring 500 hp out of a more modern, lighter weight powerplant would be the goal. I plan on keeping the car for a long time, so a unique drivetrain project will keep me busy for a while.

Michael

I'm looking at this from an enthusiast standpoint, not what it's worth (because we'll never get our money out of them anyway). I'd like to keep the original 'flavor' of the SC's V6, yet get better mileage, smog control, and power output (with a supercharger). I'd also like to mate a 6spd manual to it. To wring 500 hp out of a more modern, lighter weight powerplant would be the goal. I plan on keeping the car for a long time, so a unique drivetrain project will keep me busy for a while.

Michael

I have owned more vehicles than I care to talk about. Well aware that you never get your money back. If I were taking a six out and replacing it with a different six cylinder it would definetly be from a TT Supra (2JZ-GTE I6)...They make 500whp easily. And will live....Built up some...twice that. There is someone on here that has done it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that is a FWD engine platform though. Would be a neat project if it were possible. Problem is that a new engine like the TT 3.5 would cost 4-5 times what the car is worth. Let alone the transmission problem and the wiring and electronics to make it work.

You would need to modify certain things but you can most definitely get it to work. Use a RWD transmission for starters. To me it be about being different, and more technologically advanced. SBF and even new modulars are to easy. Im liking DOHC v8 Im also liking variabel cam timing of the 3v. If they combine the 2 two IM IN!!! The eco boost. Direct injection, twin turbo....I love it..v6 even better! Love a challenge of two less cylinders.

But I'm thinking I'm done with this platform with the cars I have.

I'm thinking a new style retro bird with v8 sc powered Jag setup would be nice for a project. But even then....An eco boost retro bird....ohhhhhhhh now that be different!

Back