Shifting problems

nascar john

Gentlemen, I have a question. Recently I am having shifting problems on my 94 sc. Many times I cannot shift in to gear-there is no grinding-the shifter just stops. When this happens I go to other gears[4th and 5th] and then can go to the gear I want. I recently replaced the clutch assy, slave cylinder and shifter bushings. Do you know if this is a shifter problem or a transmission problem. There is no play in the shifter which leads me to believe the bushings are OK

Normally when that happens there is just a wee bit of drag on the clutch causing the syncro not to be able to mesh the gears and by going to another more closely alaigned gear set you can then "muscle " the desired gear into mesh...there is a slight possibility that it is the syncro itself but I'd lean toward the clutch having a miniscule bit od drag on it. Having said that that is my experience with older transmissions since my SC has a slip-o-matic in it I don't have a great deal of experience with the M5R2 directly...........Dan

I would probably start by making sure the clutch was bled good and not leaking anywhere then pay attention to whether or not I had the pedal all the way down....Was the clutch you replaced a direct replacement or a performance one--might be a bit more sticky ..........Dan

shifting

Dan, The clutch assembly is off the shelf Ford stock. Clutch fluid pretty dirty and about 1 ounce low. Only about 1000 miles since installation

shifting

Hey guys. I checked the bell housing-no signs of any leaks.Bled the Clutch reservoir and changed the trans fluid. None of this helped. Shifter seems fine, but could there be a problem with it? Doesn't seem like a loose flywheel as there is no vibration. Also, it shifts fine when the engine is not running

If it only does it while running it would indicate the clutch is dragging slightly for sure---it could be as simple as the center hub of the clutch sticking on the input shaft of the transmission and rubbing on the pressure plate or flywheel. Sounds like its going to be a ~~~~ to figure out---wish I could give better advise..................Dan

Back