Car smokes when hot? not at a start???

moneyching43204

i have this 1990 SC that i got .. it starts out fine
but when she gets hot she starts smoking out the tail pipes.. i know it needs a tune up but would this do that... its not getting over heated..fans come on just like they should. looks like all the vac. lines are on..
the car has been setting for some time.. i thought it may be bad gas.. the smoking is not like a coolent leak kind of smell more like a old oil she has been off the road for about a yr....i just thought i ask some of you ..what you think... im all new to this kind of car...what things should i be looking for...i was thinking of getting a motor vac. done on her but i thought i ask some of you all frist...i have all the things i need to do a tune up on her.. thanks for your time...Kevin

Last edited:
same thing happened to my titanium 91 auto, I just replaced the headgaskets after sitting 6 years, once it got up to temp it would smoke a light white color from the front of the engine.

The culprit with my car was a bad radiator, it had a hairline crack in it probably from when it overheated back in 2004. The previous owner over heated it terribly so i wasn't surprised.

Back