Trying to get my 35th Running

Jason_12w6

I have a 35th that's been sitting for the last 4 years because I didn't have the money or a place to work on it. I finally have a place to work on it. But the problem now is what do I need to do to get it started.
So far I've put in a new battery and changed the battery terminals. My question is what should I change next. I was getting a small click when I turned the key. Now that I've changed the battery I don't get the click. Some of the accessories are working headlights, dome lights, mirror lights, mirrors, seats and lighter. The ones that aren't working are the moon roof, gauge cluster lights, heater fan.
Any help is appreciated.

sounds like these:

"The ones that aren't working are the moon roof, gauge cluster lights, heater fan."

are a different problem...to get it to turn over check starter (can try hitting with a hammer to free it up while turning key), could also be selenoid. I'd start with starter.

There is a small wire on the starter that tends to come loose. Its a spade lug. Clean it, snug up the fit, and put some dielectric grease on it. Mine gave me the devil of a time like that a couple of years ago.

The easiest possible way to find out if its the starter, use a screwdriver to jump the terminals on the solonoid which is located on the driver side fender. If the engine turns over than its the solonoid, if it still clicks then I would move onto the starter itself.

My bet is that its the solonoid, my car sat for a few years and did that same exact thing.

Last edited:
It does appear to be the fender solenoid. It starts to turn over but that's as far as it gets. Any ideas on where to go from here.

It does appear to be the fender solenoid. It starts to turn over but that's as far as it gets. Any ideas on where to go from here.

What was the original problem ? If it was parked for 4 years with a blown head gasket, the motor could be locked up from rust in the cylinders.

David

There was no original problem. I didn't have the money to get it registered and didn't want to run it during the winter. Life starts happening and four years later here we are.

I tried starting fluid no luck. I pressed the valve on the fuel line while it was turning over to see if it was getting any fuel and nothing came out. Anyone have any ideas on where to go from here

check the fuel shut off switch in the trunk on the drivers side behind the carpet, push the red button to reset it if it has tripped.

When your jumping the solenoid do the have the ignition turned on? Also when you turn the ignition on listen to see if the fuel pump is activating. If it still won't start after that I would try putting some dry gas in or replacing the gas all together. Just trying to rule out the little stuff before you start to do some real digging.

Also I bought my solenoid at advance auto, but I'm sure you can buy them at any auto store.

I do have the ignition tuned on. I already tried dry gas. I haven't listened for the fuel pump.

I was reading some older posts and someone said you can check to see if your plugs are giving spark by checking the wires. Does anyone know ho to do this.
The auto zone down the street from me has them in stock.

I tried starting fluid no luck. I pressed the valve on the fuel line while it was turning over to see if it was getting any fuel and nothing came out. Anyone have any ideas on where to go from here

Welcome.
After you get the engine to crank the normal way, you want to get a fuel press gauge on the rail to see if you have any.
3 out of 5 vehicles I bought that were parked for x years had bad fuel pumps.
Sounds like you need to get somebody there to help you with that car.
Good luck!

paul

So I got back by the rear tires and listened for the fuel pump while my wife turned the key on. I didn't hear anything.
I also seem to have a lot of play in my key when I turn it to the on position it very loosely turns back and forth. Would the cold have anything to do with the fuel pump not coming on properly.

Also, you might want to check the wires under the car for damage from animals.

I had a problem out of my 93 SC, where the tank was rubbing on my wires, and was shorting out and the fuel pump stop working.

You can also push the relief valve on the fuel rail, while cranking, bunch of fuel should come shooting out, if there is no fuel, its a fuel pump or possibly a clogged filter from bad fuel sitting in the filter for all these years.

So I pulled the plastic pieces of my steering column and one of the clips on the ignition switch was snapped so it wasn't hitting all the contacts.
After holding that up and turning the key all my accessories come on fuel pump, brakes everything. I turn the key get the click from the starter and the up shift light, check gauge light and check engine light are all on.
When I try to start it from the fender solenoid it turns over. My question is if it's the crank sensor would it still turn over from the solenoid. I'm also getting a code reader tomorrow to pull some codes.

Stupid question but it just got me. If this is a 90, is it an auto? If so the brake has to be pressed when you start it.

Back