Flywheel question.

914Driver

I bought a 3.8 with an automaic tranny (call, it's really cheap) and want to convert to a manual. The manual is an E9SR-AB and has a flywheel and clutch with it. I paid NAPA $50 to resurface the flywheel and then I bought a pilot bearing.

Oy!

The SC bearing is 1.375" or so diameter, the flywheel's diameter is about 1.75". Then there's the internal/external balance thing....

What the heck do I have, what do I need?

I have a 1995 SC 3.8 and a 5 speed:
E9SR-AB
RKE-AA1
A251214

Thanks, I'm going nuts.

Dan

Huh? Maybe I don't understand. The pilot bearing goes in the end of the crankshaft, not the flywheel.

Some cars put the pilot bearing in the flywheel, but on the SC it goes into the crankshaft.

• You'll also need a 5spd driveshaft,
  • Pedal assembly and clutch switch
  • Clutch master and slave cylinder
  • 5spd wiring harness
  • It would be best to have a 5spd computer or else have a chip programmed for the car turning off the automatic functions.
  • Console cover assembly
  • Transmission tunnel cover
  • Shifter

And then you'll have to rewire the transmission harness to adapt to the 5spd functions. A car schematic would help here a lot. I've done this swap, it's not the easiest in the world (you have to pull the dash part way out to properly bolt in the pedal assembly) and you have to drill the holes for the master cylinder.

Well if your a skinny white kid, you can drill all three holes and mount the pedal w/o removing one dash peice. You can even get the top clutch pedal bolt. Youll have to steal the metal threaded clip from a 5spd car though. The hole is there, just no threads. You will need to remove the drivers seat to get the correct body position haha:rolleyes:

Corey

And then you'll have to rewire the transmission harness to adapt to the 5spd functions. A car schematic would help here a lot. .

I thought the harness plugs right to the connector under the climate control. Are you reffering to the clutch pedal harness portion?

Thanks guys. I never thought about changing the computer program but it makes sense.

As far as the pedals and console, it's going into one of these. Not a problem.

Dan

mk2-rf.jpg

Hmmmm.... Guess I don't have enough saddle time here to edit my posts, I wanted to add a picture of a 1968 Cortina.

Dan

Back