Stock valve springs

nickleman60

What's the biggest cam you can run with stock valve springs? This question is for a local young man with a Supercoupe powered Mustang.

They are barely good enough for the stock cam...So I would have to say none.

Crane makes some sprigs that will work with stock seats but I dont recall the numbers

stock springs are good for about .500" lift. I think they coil bind right around there. I'm running a .493" lift with new, stock springs and I can feel that they are weak at high rpms.

Coil bind is an issue. But so is valve float and the springs being barely adequate for a stock cam in that regard. Especially with many miles on them

I had a stock cam and 17 psi of boost and mine would float their butts off at 5000 rpms. These where on a ford reman motor with 18k miles, so I don't know if they where used or new.

It stumped me for the longest time, felt just like a rev limiter. I changed everything electrical and tune wise, it wasn't till I talked to Dalke that he informed me that the stock springs are junk.

The stock springs are fine for a stock engine, but the spring pressure is just too low to get crazy with the cam, the boost, or the revs.

i would upgrade the springs with running a different cam hell it wouldnt hurt using them with the stock cam

Back