IC pipe wrapping question

k_schutte

let me re-phrase this question to make it simple. Heat wrap is suppose to keep heat "in" whatever you wrap, I assume it would do just as good as keeping heat OUT? As in if I where to wrap the cold pipe on my intercooler setup that would probably keep the IATs lower than If I where to wrap the hot pipe.

Last edited:
Heat wrap works best when there is a high delta of temperature difference. Since the intake air is at or about ambient, protecting it from ambient air temp is futile. If on the other hand, your intake air pipe passes by something giving off a bunch of heat, then yes, wrapping it will help prevent that heat from transferring into your intake air temp.

That is why most wrap the lower intercooler tube, to keep the heat from the drivers side exhaust manifold out of the tube.

Heat wrap works best when there is a high delta of temperature difference. Since the intake air is at or about ambient, protecting it from ambient air temp is futile. If on the other hand, your intake air pipe passes by something giving off a bunch of heat, then yes, wrapping it will help prevent that heat from transferring into your intake air temp.

That is why most wrap the lower intercooler tube, to keep the heat from the drivers side exhaust manifold out of the tube.

Thanks... apparently last tiem I edited the post I removed the pictures by accident. I put the pictures back up there, the pipes run close to eachother for a while so the only really "hot" thing the pipe runs near is the outlet pipe. I just didn't know if it was worth the $100~ to wrap the inlet tube or not because it runs that close to the outlet pipe.

I'd throw a little wrap or some sort of spacer that doesn't transmit heat just to keep the things from rubbing on each other. The temperature delta won't be that high between the hot vs cool pipe and a small air gap is a good insulator.

I've read of cases where the heat wrap can cause problems with heavy and rapid oxidation of ferrous metals. I don't know what your pipes are made of but I would be weary if they are anything but aluminum.

Back