Bent supercharger snout/pulley?!?!

frgnfstbrd

:/ Doing 55, step on the gas to pass a guy and my car sputters, alittle bang (not too loud) and loss of power.. pull over at a gas station (can't touch the gas pretty much) and think a vaccum line is off or something??? wrong.. my supercharger belt is broke and look at my supercharger!!!! what the h*ll happened here huh? lol. what a day.

superchargerpulley2.jpg

superchargerpulley1.jpg

On hind sight, I was behind a semi and smelled burning rubber like 5 minutes before this happened.. i went around the truck and the smell went away. But I'm guessing now that the smell was my belt heating up.. Obviously my supercharger is junk now, any thoughts on what caused this at such a low rpm? I was only at maybe 2200 rpms or so.

also, I thought that these things were designed to be "drivable" with out a functioning supercharger.. I had NO power, I could barely do 50mph to limp home.. is that right?

You could just replace the snout unless the rotors locked up and causing the rotors to not free spin. The car is very underpowered with the belt off but the SC will spin under Vacuum. If SC rotors are frozen solid then the air will only go thru the bypass which shuts when you starts to reach 0vac.

Finding an early SC is no probem. I even have one laying around as a spare.

X2 on the entire post. I would say the rotors are locked if it bent the snout like that though. Possibly ran er outta oil though...

SWS

X2 on the entire post. I would say the rotors are locked if it bent the snout like that though. Possibly ran er outta oil though...

SWS

yeah.. I just pulled the supercharger and then pulled the snout.. no oil :eek: I think there is an SC here local that I can pull a snout off of. I can spin the rotors very easy without the snout on. The shaft where the pulley attaches was bent so bad it ate the bearings just inside the snout and therefore stopped spinning.. But as I turn the rotors now, I can't hear or see any contact, and they spin pretty freely.. you guys think it's safe to just install another snout?

since this is my only driver, and I have the snout off and the rotors spin freely, can I drive it like this for a few miles to get this other supercharger? is it safe? thanks guys.

since this is my only driver, and I have the snout off and the rotors spin freely, can I drive it like this for a few miles to get this other supercharger? is it safe? thanks guys.

You should have no problem. I had the blower off this past summer and forgot to reinstall the belt before work Monday morning. I was driving along, just taking it easy for the slow section of my commute. I got halfway there before I noticed I couldn't call up any boost. Pulled over, slipped the belt on, and off I went. So it should drive as normal, just without the benefit of boost.

The yeah now that the broken snout is off and allows the rotors to free spin you will be ok, for now. The vacuum will turn the rotors believe it or not and let you get some air. You could also lock the bypass open then it will drive almost like a NA bird.

I might do that then. i don't have a cover for the front of the SC right now, i through some assembly lube on the gears just to be safe. SLOW is what I am now.. lol

A good thing is that my head gaskets have already been done, and the EGR was already blocked off.. so the sc came off in like 10 minutes.. NO problem. lol.

How can you remove the snout and run the car? What's going to hold the rotor pack in without the snout bolts? Or are you going to bolt the snout back on and just leave the belt off....

I didn't know that they could just come out.. :( i was just running it without the snout. I've only driven it a few miles but everything seems solid.. can the rotors just fall out? I didn't know the snout actually "held" them both in.

I didn't know that they could just come out.. :( i was just running it without the snout. I've only driven it a few miles but everything seems solid.. can the rotors just fall out? I didn't know the snout actually "held" them both in.

The only thing holding it in is the strength of the sealant used to seal it to the sc case. I'd put the snout back on and leave off the belt.

The only thing holding it in is the strength of the sealant used to seal it to the sc case. The rotor pack is sandwiched between the snou and sc case, the bolts with sealant on both sides of the rotor pack hold it ALL together. I'd put the snout back on and leave off the belt.

But the snout appears to be seized up, isn't it? If so, I would suggest grabbing a few bolts from the hardware store with the same thread and a shorter length. Just install 3 or 4 until snug, so the rotor pack can't go anywhere.

Do not run the car with the gears for the rotors exposed to the weather, you will destroy that rotor pack. At least remove the coupler from the snout. remove the drive dins for the coupler and reinstall the cover then place a small amount of oil in there for the gears to run in---then you can drive it if necessary until you can repair or replace the blower......Dan

Back