Who has taken the front of their motor apart?

yes you must do an oil change after you are done. Then do another oil change after running the engine to get rid of the rest. Coolant will hurt bearings.

So that is normal? I bought the car as a basket case and the balancer was broken in two. The front end was completely taken apart and I had to go from there. I got to the step of finally putting clean new oil in it and as I drained it the oil was not milky it just had a pour of coolant then oil. What is your opinion bud? I thank you for your reply very very very much!

So that is normal? I bought the car as a basket case and the balancer was broken in two. The front end was completely taken apart and I had to go from there. I got to the step of finally putting clean new oil in it and as I drained it the oil was not milky it just had a pour of coolant then oil. What is your opinion bud? I thank you for your reply very very very much!

Run that oil change for a few minutes 4-5. then change again with cheap oil. Run that for 500 miles then change again. You should not see coolant after the second oil change unless you did not install the cover correctly. Keep checking the oil.

It's not unusual. When the timing cover is removed with the waterpump still attached, some of the coolant inside the waterpump and engine block, pours directly into the oil pan.

David

how the hell do you take off the timing cover and pup together?? im actually midway thru changing my pump and timing gaskets, this is on my 95, and there is no way to take them both off together considering the water pump bolts are the timing cover bolts too..

anyway i was going to ask on the forums on this 95, do you have to remove the oil filter adapter to remove the timing cover. and if so its gonna be a big pain in the @ss, theres the back left bolt on the filter housing that is really really hard to get to. please tell me theres no bolt behind this whole thing. all obvious bolts are out and the cover is still on there good. not sure if its just the adhesive or a buried bolt.

how the hell do you take off the timing cover and pup together?? im actually midway thru changing my pump and timing gaskets, this is on my 95, and there is no way to take them both off together considering the water pump bolts are the timing cover bolts too..

anyway i was going to ask on the forums on this 95, do you have to remove the oil filter adapter to remove the timing cover. and if so its gonna be a big pain in the @ss, theres the back left bolt on the filter housing that is really really hard to get to. please tell me theres no bolt behind this whole thing. all obvious bolts are out and the cover is still on there good. not sure if its just the adhesive or a buried bolt.

there are seperate bolts that hold the pump to the front cover and there are 4 i think that are long studs that hold the pump/front cover to the engine in the area of the water pump.

also on the lower right front of the motor (when looking at the front of engine) ther is a flush alen head bolt that is in the front cover. dont miss that one.

the oil filter adapter?? are you talking about the oil pump. no that can stay on the cover when you remove it. you willl need to remove the cam sensor completly from the front cover.

after all bolts are out and you are sure they are out. the cover is probably held on still by the rust that forms around the 4 long studs holding the waterpump/cover to motor. i almost could not remove the front cover on my bad motor due to this rust.

on the top of the front cover you will see two ears sticking up those are to pry against with a suitable tool. but mine quickly broke off when I tried this on my bad motor. avoid sticking screwdrivers and such between the cover and block, the front cover is soft and will get marred up very easily and will not seal when you are done. simply use a rubber mallot and tap the front cover off. also if you can remove the studs that are holding on the water pump then the cover will come right off.

dude, thanks alot. my small block fords and chevys are so much easier to deal with lol. i didnt even realize that was the actual oil pump. looks like that will be getting changed as when when i pull it all out..

also i assume the coolant lines comming off the oil filter housing are the heater hoses for the heater core? i was wondering how the hell my heat works so awsome so fast!

What did you do about the broken ears. Just broke one off tonight. Looks like I will either need a new cover or hopefully it can be welded back in place.

What did you do about the broken ears. Just broke one off tonight. Looks like I will either need a new cover or hopefully it can be welded back in place.

ah man whats up with us and this timing cover crisis. lol just so happens 2 shmucks are working on their SC's after midnight in the dead cold of winter (cold for me at least)? Nice to know im not alone hahaha, awsome.

i hope you have a second vehicle... my sc is gonna be unexpectedly laid up for now till my parts come in, thank god for geico multicar discount!

TONY put an ad up in the classified wanted for timing cover, im sure someone has one for you. good luck

i found a website that sells remanufactured covers or NOS covers i think by searching for 3.8 timing cover. they are not cheap....

thats why i was trying to remove the one from my bad motor to have as a spare but it broke.

Back