Replacement for JBL sub woofer.......

tbirdsc35th

Hello, guys. If you want to keep the JBL systems stock....

The 90 Super Coupe JBL uses a 6 to 6.5 inch round sub woofer speaker that is rated at 6 ohms 75 watts. It fits in the rear enclosure, E9SZ-18C804-AK which is no longer serviced. Suffice it to say, I had another sub woofer speaker from a 93 Explorer Eddie Bauer and had it checked. It's the same speaker, dimensions and all. There is a plastic ring on both speakers that serves to hold the foam in place around the outer rim. The Explorer ring is a grille piece whereas the Super Coupe speaker is just an open thin ring. They are both rated the same however. The Explorer speaker is available, part number F3TZ-18808-A. My cost is 59.06. All is needed is to either swap rings from the speakers or modify the enclosure to accept the Explorer speaker and you are back to stock.

There may be other Ford speakers that are even closer as far as the outer ring attachment. I just don't have the time to search all of the speakers that are still available. I am told that a JL 6WO 4 ohm speaker will work if you don't crank it up too much.

I hope this will help anyone who has a blown sub woofer and is in a dilemna as to what to do and keep things stock.

Have a great week all.

Lance,
did all supercoupes get the subwoofer treatment, or something reserved the anniversary's? I'm wondering if the 95's got them?

Justin

Hi, Justin.

First let me say that swapping the rings often tears the foam rim since Ford glued them in place. I have had a 50/50 success with the few speakers I had laying around. :-(

The JBL sub woofer wasn't just a 35th Anniversary option but it was an option for all Super Coupes as well as Thunderbirds, Cougars and other Ford cars. I am almost certain that the 95's had them as an option but I don't know if they were the same as the 90's. I mainly concentrate on the 90 models so I can be at my best for the 35th's. I'm gettin older and it's harder to remember all the years than just one, unfortunately. Hope I'm not getting Alzheimers. :)

Have a great week.

Lance,
good to see more 35th "nuts" out there. Your webpage looks very well done and professional. The 90 anniversary is by far the sharpest looking mn12 supercoupe ever made.

Keep up the good work, and keep the birds alive.

Justin

subwoofer replacment

ditch the whole box and stick a 10" woof in its place with the trunk as the box on the stock amp. Sounds way better than that little 6 could ever do. I picked up a Lightning for $30 and sounds great!!!!

Yep, mine's pushing a single 10" too. Sounds pretty good! Would be nice to have the box up out of the way, but at least it's pretty small. Plenty of room left, and sounds tight.

Re: subwoofer replacment

garmo said:
I picked up a Lightning for $30 and sounds great!!!!

You got the whole Pick Up, for $30! Wow! That's the best price I've ever heard for a Lightning!

68COUGAR

Back