Crank position sensor install!

justin

Ok, I need a step by step how to on a crank sensor. The motor is in so I already know it is not gonna be fun in the least bit. My understanding is that all it has to do is clear both sides of the gap? After I have that settled just plug it in and go?

Basically, yes, you want the vane more or less centered in the sensor's gap. It should have about a matchbook cover's thickness of air between the vane and the main body of the sensor. The end of the sensor is sort of C-shaped, and that is where the vane has to go. Needless to say, don't turn the car over with the starter until you are sure that the vane will clear the sensor! Otherwise you will have to buy a new sensor.

Installing it isn't very hard. You can probably do it with a 7/32" deep well socket on a 1/4" extension, with a 1/4" ratchet. The angle is a little funny, but it should fit well enough to install or remove the screws. That is how I changed the one on my 1990. Make sure the wires are routed so they will not contact any belts during operation. Then just plug it in and go.

i do believe that should be a recall, so far (including me) i think almost everyone on this forum has had to replace the crank sensor.

oh ya, and i was lucky enough to have mine go out on me on the middle of no-where. the average family tree in the area was a telephone pole and then having to explain what it was that i needed was harder then trying to mate with a half starved bear.

Last edited:
Back