PDA

View Full Version : What does a 90SC 3.8 engine go for?

JDC
01-27-2010, 07:34 PM
I didn't know where I should put this at becase I'm not sure if I should sale the engine or not.But becase I live here in Fla.I thought it would be easer and better to try and sale it here in FLA.It has over 11700 mile and less than 11800 miles on it. It also has a leak behind the timming chain cover. That just started. I've done genral maintance on it it do'nt over heat it do'nt smoke and it runs pretty darn good.The reason I'm selling it is becase I've got a 5.0 I won't to put in it[ It an't a stock 5.0].Could someone out there give me a price, or tell what to do with it? Thanks JDC

Flip
01-27-2010, 09:46 PM
So, JD are you taking the 3.8 SC out of the Supercoupe and installing a 5.0?

JDC
01-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Yea I sure am the 5.0 I got has more HP and for me there easyer to work on.To make the 3.8 have the same HP it would cost me more than for me to put this 5.0 engine in it. From what I've read on this site and Tccoa it is almost an plug and play except for a few things.I think that I would be happyer with the 5.0 in my SC than the 3.8.The trans that is in it is in real good shape and with the right stall and shift kit it should do just fine.I was just trying to see what I could get for the SC3.8 engine.Thanks for the come back .JDC

kamakazie_1
01-29-2010, 07:42 AM
I thought the bellhousings were different? Your going to use the SC tranny on a 5.0??

RJ

Kurt K
01-29-2010, 09:17 AM
I thought the bellhousings were different? Your going to use the SC tranny on a 5.0??

RJ
I'm pretty sure there isn't a problem with bellhousings. Neibert's turbo car started life as a stock SC and now has a 5.0 based engine in it. Besides, some of the early T-birds were offered with a 5.0.

As for selling a running engine, I'm not sure what you can get for it. Is that an original engine with less than 12,000 miles on it, or a rebuild with less than 12,000 miles?

XR7Kurt
01-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Bellhousings are the same flywheels/flexplates are not. I'm currently finishing up a swap and plug and play is not how I would describe it, but I'm not wireologically inclined.:p I had to make changes to at least four connectors either on the car's harness or on the engine harness. It's not rocket surgery but is more than switching a couple of wires. It does vary from year to year though. I used a 5.0 from a 91 XR7 into a 89 XR7.

I would say the engine is worth about what any other stock engine of comparable running condition, providing you find someone that needs one of course. If it is a recent quality rebuild there would probably be some interest here but then you may run into shipping issues. I know someone was inquiring about the motor from a XR7 that is currently in the parts for sale forum.

JDC
01-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks I have'nt sold any engine like the 3.8 SC engine I'm just wondering what they go for,I'm not if I should sell mine . Thanks for the come back .JDC