SC shopping....looking for some "what to look out for " when buying tips

89SCGUY

I used the "search" function yet came up empty handed. I am currently on the hunt for what will be my 2nd Super Coupe over the years.

I want to make the best purchase I can for my dollar. So if anyone would be so kind as to shoot me links, personal tips, ect. to help me find a reliable ride please give me a hand.

I know full well that head gasket failure is serious issue with these cars but even some more info on the will help.

Appreciate everyone's time to read and respond

Adam

I used the "search" function yet came up empty handed. I am currently on the hunt for what will be my 2nd Super Coupe over the years.

I want to make the best purchase I can for my dollar. So if anyone would be so kind as to shoot me links, personal tips, ect. to help me find a reliable ride please give me a hand.

I know full well that head gasket failure is serious issue with these cars but even some more info on the will help.

Adam

Yeah the search engine on these forums are junk your better off going to google and seach, 90% will bring you back here with what your looking for.

Good starter site: http://supercoupeperformance.com/

Jerry

Adam

pretty much until you go through everything yourself, do not count on a tbird being anywhere near reliable. i could give you a list of things that will most likely go bad on you but the list of things that you can depend on might be shorter. these are by far a mechanics car. if you get 1 you will be working on it or ever worse paying someone else an insane labor rate to work on it for you. the nice payoff is these cars have alot of power while maintaining ok fuel millage. and insurance rates are low since these are not classified as sports cars.

btw, if you can get a 94-95. they have some better stuff then the 89-93's do.

Last edited:
basically get the best interior, body you can that runs. they most likely will need to be tuned up a bit.

but... body and interior is getting the hardest to find I believe.

motor is just motor, but be forwarned if motor is dissasembled in boxes it may or may not be worth buying.

i would get a 1992 or newer with a 5 speed. maybee an exhaust is desirable. stay away from the white if paint hasnt been taken care of ford whites turn all sorts of cream, jizz colored when not taken care of.

basically get the best interior, body you can that runs. they most likely will need to be tuned up a bit.

but... body and interior is getting the hardest to find I believe.

motor is just motor, but be forwarned if motor is dissasembled in boxes it may or may not be worth buying.

i would get a 1992 or newer with a 5 speed. maybee an exhaust is desirable. stay away from the white if paint hasnt been taken care of ford whites turn all sorts of cream, jizz colored when not taken care of.

completely agree on all but the 92, i say around 95 so he can get the better super charger right off the bat. plus it seems as if most times the 94-95's get a lil more love then the 89-93's

<a href="http://knol.google.com/k/ford-thunderbird-super-coupe-buyer-s-guide?hd=ns#">Thunderbird SC Buyers Guide</a>

Also, get back into using the search feature here - don't just rely on others spooning it up...lots of stuff on this and more available if you're willing to put in a bit of time, etc.

Last edited:
I've had a ton of high performance cars in the past and have been a part of many forums and clubs. I swear that learning from others and reading before acting has saved me tons of cash, busted knuckles, and headaches.

Thanks again to all and keep it coming

Adam

If it has a moon roof than check the body low in front of the rear tires. They have a drain from the moon roof there that plugs and rots out the body just in front of the rear wheels. Check the rest of the quarter panels for rust. Jack up the rear of the car, grab the tires and try to move them back and forth to check to be sure theres no play in the suspension. Nice interior is a bonus. Check the doors for sag, they are so long and heavy the hinges dont fair well. I would, looking back, buy a well maintained, clean looking car, not one that has 15 years of dust and grime all over the engine compartment or interior.

Ken

If it has a moon roof than check the body low in front of the rear tires. They have a drain from the moon roof there that plugs and rots out the body just in front of the rear wheels. Check the rest of the quarter panels for rust. Jack up the rear of the car, grab the tires and try to move them back and forth to check to be sure theres no play in the suspension. Nice interior is a bonus. Check the doors for sag, they are so long and heavy the hinges dont fair well. I would, looking back, buy a well maintained, clean looking car, not one that has 15 years of dust and grime all over the engine compartment or interior.

Ken

Those are all great things I certainly would not have thought of. Thanks!

Back