Triple gauge pod installation questions

Evan_90SC

I purchased a tripple a-pillar gauge pod from Lotek, for my 90 with the passive restraint. I am curious to know how others have installed the same pillar pod.

I got my pod and it looks like it will need a little fabing to get it to fit right. On the left, closest to the weather stripping, the new pod has a straight edge, instead of the curved edge that the actual a-pillar has to tuck it under the weather stripping. Also, the new pod has 2 holes for screws, both in the middle of the pod and not on the ends. Did you install the pod over the existing a-pillar, or did you cut the existing a-pillar in sections?

Just trying to figure out how to make it fit the best. Any help is appreciated!

I just installed mine over the stock because I dont really want to go cutting up my interior...looks pretty good still...I could get pics up monday if needed

I removed the stock one and installed the triple one. You will have to drill two holes for mounting screws though. There may be some sanding to be done for the restraint system track. I had to do a little bit on mine.

I just installed mine over the stock because I dont really want to go cutting up my interior...looks pretty good still...I could get pics up monday if needed

Yeah, some pics would be awesome! Especially of the left side of the pillar pod where the weather stripping is. After you screwed it down, does that left side stick out at all? Is it noticeable when the door is open?

I removed the stock one and installed the triple one. You will have to drill two holes for mounting screws though. There may be some sanding to be done for the restraint system track. I had to do a little bit on mine.

So did you cut the stock one at the top where the triple pod ended? And you mean you had to drill holes in the metal behind the pillar in order to mount the new one? How does yours look on the left where the weather stripping is... does it stick out at all?

Thanks

Last edited:
It has been a very long time since I installed mine and getting pictures right now isn't much of an option, but here is my memory of what I did. I bought a used A-pillar and cut that to meet up with the new triple pod pillar (which if I remember ends about 3 inches beyond the curve at the top-front of the door). Anyway, there are 2 screws that screw into new holes in the A-pillar. When I bought mine, there were 2 little black plastic caps that fit into the screw heads, which I installed and I was finished. Make sure to use a dab of silicone (or something similar) to help hold the cap to the screw--I didn't and one of the caps fell out while driving. I luckily found it later.

edit: I don't remember needing to do any sanding to the restraint system, but I may have trimmed the gauge pod with a utility knife.

Last edited:
My camera took a crap. I'll see if I can borrow my friends. I had to cut nothing on the stock cover. I slid the gauge pod under the wether stripping. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend for you.

Does this shot help any? I just mounted it over the original trim.

apod.jpg

apod.jpg
I stand corrected, I guess you can mount it over the original trim. Since I mounted a mechanical oil pressure gauge in mine, I wanted the extra space for the braided stainless stell oil line. The original trim would have definitely gotten in the way.

Ira R's looks REALLY clean! mine sticks out a bit on both sides but not too noticeable...haven't really had my car running too long since engine build so kinda least of my worries right now, maybe later i'll go back and fix it up

apod.jpg

Yeah that helps... but it looks like yours is in a 94 or 95?... Without the passive restraint? I think it would fit up better on cars without passive restraint. I think that's why I might have the issues of the left side not sliding under the weather stripping.

But, I still need to drill holes in the stock a-pillar in order to mount the pod pillar on top of the stock on, correct? How did you guys run the wires behind it?... I would think that drilling a large hole in the stock pillar to fish the wires down through would make the most sense...

Yeah that helps... but it looks like yours is in a 94 or 95?... Without the passive restraint? I think it would fit up better on cars without passive restraint. I think that's why I might have the issues of the left side not sliding under the weather stripping.

But, I still need to drill holes in the stock a-pillar in order to mount the pod pillar on top of the stock on, correct? How did you guys run the wires behind it?... I would think that drilling a large hole in the stock pillar to fish the wires down through would make the most sense...

Sorry I didn't realize you had the passive restraint system. All we did was drill aouple of small screw holes in the original trim and we didn't have to drill any extra holes. There was plenty of room to snake the wires through the bottom of the trim piece.

Ira

Ok, so I got the pod and gauges mounted up tonight. I ran all the wires and fished them down into the dash, (just haven't attached them to their locations yet.) I ended up having to drill 3 large holes in the stock a-pillar, one hole behind each gauge so that I could run all the wires behind the stock a-pillar. There was no room behind the new pod pillar to run the wires down (in front of the stock a-pillar), because it was pressed right up against the stock one.

I got everything to fit ok, but it just isn't the greatest fit in the world. The whole thing doesn't sit as flush anymore, due to all the wires running back there. Also, there's the issue with the whole left side of the pod, (where the stock one curves, but the new one stays straight.) It doesn't tuck under the weatherstripping very well at all, so with the door open it looks kinda weird. My engine is torn apart, and the battery is out... but I also have the fear that the seatbelt might clip the top corner of the new pod when the door is opening and the belt is moving forward. It's gonna be a close shave :p, but i'll find out after all is done and I hook the battery back up.

All in all, it gets the job done and looks alright... I just like things to look a little cleaner, and get irritated over the tiniest imperfections. :rolleyes: I don't know how some of you guys make it look so clean!

Does anyone have any suggestions for triple a-pillar pod gauges that I could look at? I have the seatbelt system that moves as you open the door.

Does anyone have any suggestions for triple a-pillar pod gauges that I could look at? I have the seatbelt system that moves as you open the door.
I have fuel pressure, oil pressure and transmission temperature. Some people put an aftermarket boost gauge in there, but I put my aftermarket boost gauge in my dash.

My 3 gauges are vacuum/boost, air inlet temp and Innovate wideband O2. I have aftermarket oil pressure and water temp gauges in the dash where the radio used to be. I eliminated the oil & water temp gauges in the dash and switched out the in-dash boost/fuel gauge for a LX volts/fuel gauge so now I can monitor my charging system.

Last edited:
Which position is easiest to see when you are driving? I have my three gauges just need to put them in.

Sean

Back