Unplugging Maf rule . . .

thirdbird

Having the no idle w/o pedal issue.
There are at least a dozen threads on this subject, but I can't find a clear explanation.

If idle is bad, and Maf is unplugged and idle improves, Maf is good and there is a vac leak/other issue, correct?

If Idle is unchanged by unplugging Maf, Maf is bad. Also correct?
Backwards?

I have regrind cam 204D and .470L.
Also ported everything water to air IC 2.5"-3" exhaust no resonator to stock mufflers 14%od sc
Stock injectors/maf housing/program.
Doesn't idle but goes at a reduced amount of power getting 12-13 PSI on the dial. Pretty sure it got to 14 on one occasion.
I am going to re clock the cam sensor and try grounding things directly to batt next. Also PCV valve.

paul

I'm not sure what the cam specs mean in terms of idle, but if you're running on a stock tune, then you're idle will probably be pretty off. as far as the way to test a MAF, if you unplug it and nothing happens. most likely a bad maf. if you unplug it and the idle smooths out. vacuum leak or fuel issue. fuel injectors grounded out keeping them open, or something like that.

thanks!
I will start there with ground testing...
Seawalkersee said the idle clears up by itself sometimes after x amount of on/off cycles.
it idles on its own now but it lopes like a drag car, its funny..

Last edited:
Vacuum leak..... a cam like that is so mild its not much more than stock.

Get some brake fluid and spray anywhere there is a join, and vacuum lines. This includes the back of the blower etc.

Fraser

Thanks.
I am going to use carb cleaner, but yeah.
The IC piping is for sure not leaking.
I wanted to put a turbo on it later, so I stayed closer to stock.

Back