Joe-Bob's house of horsepower

plev72

Ok, so I know we've got this info in bits and pieces around the board, I was wondering if we could try and get it in one place... maybe even turn it into a faq?

Let's suppose "Joe-Bob's house of horsepower" can provide us with a nearly limitless supply of horsepower. What I would like to know is, what are the "break-points" where things in the car MUST (or SHOULD) be replaced in order to support the added horsepower ... thus I'm not necessarily looking for things that create additional horsepower in and of themselves (although they might), but rather things that will either ALLOW the additional horsepower, or keep the car from BURSTING INTO FLAMES (or otherwise EXPLODING) due to the additional horsepower.

Hypothetical example:

In order to support 330hp you must put on a freer flowing exhaust (not to increase the horsepower, but so that the head gasket doesn't blow)

At 350hp you need to have at least 36lb injectors

Or formatted (don't quite the numbers, just for example):

300rwhp = Stock

330rwhp = wider exhaust

350rwhp = 36lb injectors
= 255lph fuel pump

400rwhp = stronger rods
= transmission reinforcement

anyway.... thanks in advance for the guidance...

I'm home from the army in 11 days (finally!) and I'm looking forward to getting started on my car!.

... and now a word from our brothers and sisters in the US NAVY:
CENSORED! - In the interests of a kindler gentler world

Last edited:
At 350hp you need to have at least 36lb injectors

You will need to upgrade injectors way before that. Around 300 crank hp you will need bigger injectors if your running 30#'s.

300rwhp = Stock
You will need to put at least 2 1/2" mandrel center to get that.

chris

Hows that Dave?? I dont hardly come here is why is wasnt updated... that And I can never post when i do! Damn server..

chris

ported manifolds

I have heard a good port job on the stock manifolds will allow them to work up to 350 bhp.

Also, I believe a higher flow fuel pump should be considered on pre '94 models after a 5%, intake upgrade, and exhaust upgrade.. so maybe @ 250 bhp.

and now a word from our brothers and sisters in the US NAVY

I guess that you think that innocent women and children that are dying due to scantions put on Iraq by America is funny also :rolleyes: jacka$$

BTW there are probably some members of the board that might be from the mid east and might still have loved ones there ......so our beloved moderators might want to do something about that outright offensive picture.

WIDOWMAKER PRODUCTIONS PERSENTS

I guess that you think that widows are funny and cool also.

BTW there are probably some members of the board that might be widows or have loved ones that are ......so our beloved moderators might want to do something about that outright offensive name.

BTW there are probably some members of the board that might be widows or have loved ones that are ......so our beloved moderators might want to do something about that outright offensive name.
Are you really that ignorant? No really are you?

LOL.....Are you comparing millions of people that are dying because of a certain country's scantions.......to my sig name derrived from a wrestling character????

BTW my sig does not in any way makes a derogatory comment to widows, i did not say "F Widows" ....unlike the moronic pic posted above.

Last edited:
Being patriotic is one thing, praise the mighty US....but don't make a comment like that. I live in a very diverse city and we respect everyone.....so my point is that a comment like that has no place in todays world where there is enough hatred and prejudice going around.

If you wish to discuss this any further feel free to use private mail.

tbirdsc357 said:

I guess that you think that innocent women and children that are dying due to scantions put on Iraq by America is funny also :rolleyes: jacka$$

Those sanctions you speak of are imposed by the United Nations, not the United States. The U.S. enforces them because the government of Iraq has not complied with the conditions required for the sanctions removal. The Iraqi goverment has chosen to keep its offensive capability and intentions at the expense of its own people.

BTW, this is not a political forum, it's the tech forum but I answered here to keep the content immediate. If we need to continue further then open a thread in the non-tech forum and we'll continue...

Not so fast MISTER...."WIDOWMAKER"

All I have to say is...Simply...You may want to put a bit more thought into your statements before you hit the "SUBMIT REPLY" button...

When it comes to Military Service Members of any Nation, never pretend to think you understand where they are coming from because your non serving AZZ has never been there and you aint' got a clue mister...And if you do claim to be prior or active service you are plum full of SH!T, or you would have never made the statement that you made...

Cheers

Last edited:
Well how stimulating... after a bit of careful reflection, in the interests of not making this into a major political discussion (as entertaining as that might be) and despite the personal attacks by tbirdsc357 "The WIDOWMAKER II" against myself:

"I guess that you think that innocent women and children that are dying due to scantions put on Iraq by America is funny also jacka$$"

against Kevin Varnes:

"Are you really that stupid and ignorant? No really are you?"

"BTW jacka$$ my sig does not in any way makes a derogatory comment to widows"

as well as your blatant disrespect and sarcasm towards the United States:

"Being patriotic is one thing, praise the mighty US...."

and being a hypocrite:

"I live in a very diverse city and we respect everyone....."

because while your city may clearly respect everyone, you clearly do not in the least, whether we are talking about me, or your fellow users whose opinions you so cavalierly invalidate - as we should all be very aware of your professional wrestling fetish and certainly a widow could not possibly be offended by your name ... while millions of suffering Iraqi's (all of whom are members/users of the Sccoa board) will certainly be offended by the picture I had posted.

Blah, blah, blah, in the interests of kindler gentler relations and in the interests of maintaining the focus on the cars which is where it should be (and maybe in getting somemore ACTUAL RESPONSES to my question) I have removed the offending picture. I am quite sure that millions of starving Iraqi women and children and all of there many loved ones that frequently or ever) use the Sccoa board will now perform a collective sigh of relief.

Paul
(wow, look at all the purty colors)

Oh ... and if anyone missed the picture at the center of this discussion and would like me to email it to them, email me and I'll send it to you.

Paul

Last edited:
Yo Paul...

You a Sailor, Grunt...What??? Is your tour in anyway associated with that pic you had posted? Like is it your ship? You probably can't answer that if it is your ship...Anyways...I am interested in whatever you can reveal no matter how vague...

I got some Old friends that are going back out to the PG...They don't really have that "Tip Of The Spear" attitude if ya know what I mean...THey are still feelin' the 14 months they just came off of 6mos ago..Anyways...Welcome back when ya get back...

Cheers

because while your city may clearly respect everyone, you clearly do not in the least

I sincerely apologize for directing the Jacka$$ comment to both Paul and Mr. Varnes. I wish that I could apologize in person ....because I honestly meant no offence.
It's just that I had no words to express my disbelief in the picture. On that note allow me to retort:
When it comes to Military Service Members of any Nation, never pretend to think you understand where they are coming from because your non serving AZZ has never been there and you aint' got a clue mister...
Mr Cudaz101: You are correct, I don't know where the said Military Service Member was coming from, and I don't care. There are good and bad ways of being patriotic, and that pic was a bad way. Allow me to say this and maybe I can fully explain what my original point was/is.

Had that pic said "F Saddam" a man that is a threat to world, US, and his own people...I have no problems with that. However to say "F Iraq" is to disrespect an entire nation where the majority of it's citizens have done nothing to you, that's wrong!
The fact that the navy would allow and promote such attitudes and behaviour is also wrong ...in my opinion. Does no one else feel that the pic was in bad taste!
If you wish to discuss this any further feel free to use private mail.
Like I said before this is not the place to discuss this topic.....so send me a PM.

I'm currently outprocessing and getting out of the army. I just finished a 5+ year tour with my last nearly 3 years in the south of Belgium working at SHAPE (Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe) with NATO and the 1 year prior to that in Seoul, South Korea. Unfortunately spent quite a bit of time in the hospital last year, so I'm taking a medical retirement and getting out. The real "huah" folks would probably laugh at me as I am combat support and not combat, but had I had the opportunity and not gotten sick, I certainly would have gone. In anycase, served my time and now I'm glad to be getting on with my life and going back to school. Just have to clean up my majorly messy rented house here in Belgium and back to the states and to school it is ;-)

Paul

Back