Re-loom injector harness

Tony8470

I've been taking the time this winter to refresh a few things while I'm installing my new cam and Supercoupes Unlimited heads. I went with the best dave had to offer at this time which are the same as Dave Nieberts. Not sure I'll use their full potential, but I will have room to work with. Which gives me peace of mind.

The tape I used was 3M super 33+. Not sure if this was the best option but I think they will be fine for underhood conditions. We use 3M fiberglass tape at work for some things which is designed for higher temps but I didn't like the white fabric color. Also the adhesive wasn't as strong. Says that it cures under high temps but I wasn't sure if the engine bay would get hot enough for that to happen. The old tape completely cracked off to the touch.

Wanted to share what it looks like now, along with a few parts I will be installing.

What have you guys done when you did your harness?

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 72
I think the "correct" way to do it is with friction tape ... not adhesive. That way it won't get all gunky over time. I have used some 3M electrical tape with adhesive under the hood to touch up a few spots, but I haven't had to take it off yet. I guess I can deal with the mess then.

Everything looks pretty good, though. That will be nice when you get everything back together.

As far ast he 3M 33+ tape. It is the only tape I will trust my house and family's safety with when I am doing electrical work around the house. I have not used it heavily under the hood. In the electircal work I have done up in the attic (TX heat), it will leave adhesve residue, but I have not seen it turn rock hard. Some has been there for 20 years.

As I was taking apart the old looming I found the friction tape was the first to come off. And was already unraveling in most places. This made it out of the question to be used again. As I looked into the different tapes available I found that most high temp rated tapes were fabric. Not the hockey tape that has been referred to before.

One thing good thing I found. There is grey tape wrapped around a fiberglass sheath that is still 100% intact and flexible. It's the only part I left alone. I think doing the same thing would be the best option for all wiring. But it looks like they spliced it in during manufacturing to avoid having to get it over the connectors. I didn't pay too much attention to the splicing but alot of the connectors were spliced in.

The grey taped area is where my EGR used to be. Which was probably the reason for it.

Attachments

• IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 46
we have some stuff that is the same as BMW harness wrap, its not really a tape but it feels like cloth and when its on wires it is very hard to remove but will not chaff.. its black.

i can get you the part number and you should be able to go to a dealer and pick it up tomorrow.

Back