PDA

View Full Version : mild motor build

bowman90sc
01-31-2010, 05:05 AM
hey i have been thinking about doing a little work to one of my sc's motor. i have around $1000 give or take a few hundred to spend on it. what are the things i should buy for it. the plan is to worry more about the bottom end so i wont have to pull the motor back out.

so what are the parts i should be getting that will total around $1000?

bowman90sc
01-31-2010, 05:17 AM
i was thinking if i do it to my 94 to buy a new flywheel and stage 2 clutch off super coupe performance. the money for those is not coming out of the $1000 so if i would be more beneficial taking that $600-$800 to add to the motor build i would be fine with that

slowpoke
01-31-2010, 06:36 AM
after having both the spec stage 2 and the center force duel friction, the center force wins by all means. it can take more punishment and its easier on the pedal. as for your engine, well this is just my opinion but your going to have to redo the heads some time. might as well pull them, get bigger valves and a port job done. again thats just my opinion.

bowman90sc
01-31-2010, 01:31 PM
more of what i was thinking is going with the 4.2 crank for a f150 but then what rods and pistons should i get(i would search this more but until my membership gets approved i have limited access).

sinhumane
01-31-2010, 03:34 PM
if you are going moderate power, around 3-350... just replace your bearings and rings, hone your cylinders, have your heads cleaned up and lightly ported, port your lower intake and exhaust manifolds a little, send your blower off and have it ported, or acquire a 94/95 blower and have it ported, you're at around a thousand if you do the work yourself.

add 5-10% od and go from there. more money would be going towards a tune, intercooler, and fuel system if you go any further, but you will also then have a sound engine to start modding. that peace of mind is pretty priceless.

90turbo1
01-31-2010, 07:44 PM
you will be suprised that a thousand dollars will not go far if you decide to do a 4.2 swap....

machine work alone usually runs about 300 to "freshen" up a block and do it right. if you need boring or such.

decipha
01-31-2010, 08:25 PM
im one that's actually against the 4.2 cranks IMO its a waste these are boosted engines might as well just throw a couple more pounds at it

NO matter how you look at it the 4.2 cranks are WEAKER than the stock forged crank so that alone sways my decision.

me personally i don't see the need to beef up the bottom end for a mild build, these engines are pretty stout from the factory.

If i were you I'd spend the money on things that are actually going to give you a gain. Forget the rotating assembly as long as a compression check comes back with high numbers and you don't have any blow-by, high mileage or engine noises that warrant a re-ring move on and be done with the block.

things that really wake these engines up:

big valve heads $590 includes:
cut new valve seats, bronze wall the guides, new 1.84 intake valves, 1.55 exhaust valves, new seals, retainers, keepers, bee-hive springs, and resurface with low RA for MLS gaskets
^^^really a steal for that price will make a BIG improvement alone

under drive pulleys
o/d on sc
headers & full exhaust
porting the sc
regrind cam

shopping around this all can be had pretty inexpensively if you find the right deals

kenewagner
01-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Dalke can spec you a mild cam that will work with stock valve train. Some better valve springs, some big valve ported heads. Do the internals if you can while it is apart. All the external mods wont do as much as those two changes.

Ken

decipha
01-31-2010, 08:31 PM
flywheel and clutch isn't going to make you power, i prefer the stock flywheel over aluminum not only does its weight improve vibration dampening but it also increases inertia, due to it taking longer for it to reduce speed.

i was thinking if i do it to my 94 to buy a new flywheel and stage 2 clutch off super coupe performance. the money for those is not coming out of the $1000 so if i would be more beneficial taking that $600-$800 to add to the motor build i would be fine with that

bowez
01-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Being a victim of our valve train I'd second new heads with good springs.

bowman90sc
01-31-2010, 10:30 PM
well it wasnt on my plan for right now but i couldnt turn it down so i hopped on the group buy and got that for my car. i also just got a FMIC for it.

So from what you guys are saying while i have the oil pan off should i at least put new mains on it? Im goin to work on getting a cam and some good heads for it now.

decipha
01-31-2010, 10:44 PM
sure, new bearings never hurt anything {usually}, check out clevite or federal mogul