Strange connector, cannot find mate!! help

90turbo1

so double checking my work.

next to connector for camshaft position sensor there is a single wire black connector. Looks like it should have a male spade connecotor plugged into it. Looks as if there is a gold wire going to it.

where does this plug into to. it is pretty short from the harness maybee three inches and cannot find what it plugs into.

thanks

that goes to the crank sensor i believe its some sort of ground interference wire as i don't believe its 'just a ground'

i don't know exactly what its there for but that seems logical

could this by why my fuel pump is not recieveing power???

i do rember that connector now.

thanks for the reply.

hmmm, i don't think so, the fuel pump should prime for 3 or so seconds when the ignition is turned on, however it won't prime while its cranking if the crank sensor isn't sending a signal to the ecu because it will have no idea the engine is spinning

make sense?

so i cannot locate this connector in an electrical diagram. I am assuming that its the connector for the shielding on the wiring.

would I just connect this to a ground?

i was wrong in my description also, it is in the loomed harness that goes to the crank sensor. not the engine harness under supercharger.

please help I have no other car to look at in my area.

thanks

Here is a picture of the connector I think you are looking for.

Take Care
dbd

Attachments

• PICT0094_connector.JPG
    PICT0094_connector.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 169
yup thats it, hmm now I need to go and find the other part of it. damn i hate reasembling engines that someone else took apart...

thanks again..

Where does that wire connect on the other end? Mine is cut, and I have no fire. I need to make sure it is going to where it should before I rule out the crank sensor......

Well the Single connector is for the Shielding that goes the length of the wiring for the crank sensor and Cam sensor to the ECU where it is grounded..

Also last i knew of it is also ground VIA one of the screws that hold the crank sensor to the bracket.. but i'm not sure about that one??

As the flow chart suggests, you will not get a certain voltage level - it will be "blips" varying with RPM, as the hall sensor (Crank sensor) detects the vanes passing through.

Sorry to hijack. My wire attaching into this connector is basiclly shreded and only has one strand or wire remaining. Is this something that can be replaced without any harm? Also, where to find one?

Kyle.

Last edited:
As the flow chart suggests, you will not get a certain voltage level - it will be "blips" varying with RPM, as the hall sensor (Crank sensor) detects the vanes passing through.

But I think that it is possible for the crank sensor to make a "blip", but at too low of a voltage to trigger the ignition. So if you use a test light, it needs to have a certain voltage threshold. (Not sure what exactly that value is.)

But I think that it is possible for the crank sensor to make a "blip", but at too low of a voltage to trigger the ignition. So if you use a test light, it needs to have a certain voltage threshold. (Not sure what exactly that value is.)

That's true...I'm not really sure what happens when the crank sensor "goes bad" - whether it doesn't return a strong enough signal, picks up noise, or what...

If I understand correctly, you will basically have a square wave signal with a frequency that is a multiple of engine RPM as your output - x2, x3, x4....I can't remember how many vanes there are. :eek: But the amplitude (voltage level) will need to be high enough for the pooter also.

Sorry to hijack. My wire attaching into this connector is basiclly shreded and only has one strand or wire remaining. Is this something that can be replaced without any harm? Also, where to find one?

Kyle.

There shouldn't be any problem with reconnecting this shield wire...if that's what youre asking. Just needs to be a clean re-connection of some type. It will likely work without it (mine did for years) but it is there to prevent any noise from entering the square wave signal - stray AC signals, EM noise, etc. If you're having problems and you think it is the crank sensor, I would fix the shield wire first.

Well, I picked up the car with a bad balancer, so I'm assuming that the wobble also took out the crank sensor because the ground wire was cut. I checked for signal and had nothing on the meter, so I ordered one today. Hopefully that will take care of my spark issues. Is there any referencing to be done on the sensor itself? It felt like it slipped into a pocket, but should it be closer to one side or the other when I install it? It appeared to me that the old one is closer to the outside of the sensor, not the inside.

BTW, thanks for all your help guys. I really want to breathe some life into this girl......

I replaced it, and still no spark. My next guess is the ignition module. But damn, they are expensive......

You probably should start a new thread with your problems, if you haven't already. That way you can give the details and anyone that has an idea can chime in :)

Back