Heater Core and Oil Cooler Deletion

chadder1313

I want to get rid of the two coolant hoses, that run right over the valve covers, completely from the engine bay. To me they just cram the engine bay. Is this possible? Has anyone done this? Ive also seen a few threads on deleting the oil cooler as well? What are the pros and cons to that?

Last edited:
I installed a manual rack, so I did a power steering delete.
In order to the clear the new belt routing I used a water pump from a 89 NA Tbird. I also removed the oil cooler and heater lines. I removed the pressed in fittings on the water pump and used a pipe thread tap and threaded the holes. I used brass cap plugs and a bit of copper RTV.

PSdelete1.jpg

I installed a manual rack, so I did a power steering delete.
In order to the clear the new belt routing I used a water pump from a 89 NA Tbird. I also removed the oil cooler and heater lines. I removed the pressed in fittings on the water pump and used a pipe thread tap and threaded the holes. I used brass cap plugs and a bit of copper RTV.

PSdelete1.jpg

Very nice. I like that whole idea and cleanly excuted but than your whole car is well excuted:D

Ken

Roadhawg that is exactly what i want to accomplish. All i need is to get a N/A water pump? What exactly do i do with the pump itself? Is the oil cooler difficult to remove?

Very nice. I like that whole idea and cleanly excuted but than your whole car is well excuted:D

Ken

Thanks Ken, I consider you a perfectionist and a compliment from you is very flattering.

Chad,
Did you do a A/C delete already?
I have the part numbers from the items I used on the Mod. If you want I can post them in this thread along with a few pics or you can PM me and I will give you my phone #.

Todd

Yes i did do a AC delete. If you could please post the part numbers and some info on whats all involved. If i run into any road bumps i shoot ya a PM and give you a shout on the phone. Thanks, its very well appreciated!

Here is a list of the parts used:

Belt NAPA 25-080510
Lower Radiator hose Dayco 70649
89 3.8L NA Tbird waterpump Advance Auto WP-651
3/8MPTx3/8 FPT 45deg street elbow Fastenal 440081-131280
5/8 Hose x 3/8 NPT Dorman 500-001.1
1/2NPT pipe plug

I removed the 90 degree outlet and temp sender on the intake manifold. I then installed the temp sensor directly into the intake. I used a 89 NA 3.8L water pump because in clears the new belt path, unlike the SC pump. On the water pump I removed the two pressed in fittings. Then on the larger outlet I taped to 1/2NPT and installed a 1/2NPT pipe plug. The smaller outlet I taped to 3/8NPT and installed a 3/8NPT street elbow and a 5/8 hose outlet. I removed a small amount of the bypass hose to allow proper length to connect between the thermostat hosing and the new water pump connection. I installed the Dayco 70649 lower radiator hose which clears the new belt path. I then installed the shorter 51" belt from NAPA 25-080510.

Here is a picture of the Fatenel 3/8NPT street elbow and the Dorman 500-001.1 outlet.
Pipe.jpg

man if power steering wasnt so nice id get rid of it in all my cars. you bay looks awsome and clean without the pump there. such a pain in the ~~~ dealing with the p/s pulley removal and installation and what not. and the fluid mess. nice work

Back