Did not take long. This will be the decade of the Mustang...GT350 5.0l with a Whipple

And the GT500 will keep its 5.4l for now. But will be All aluminum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02-01-10: With all the big powertrain news for the 2011 Mustang including the 305hp V6 and the new 400hp 5.0 V8, Ford couldn't let the GT-500 roll without some new bits too. News has come this week to confirm the GT-500 will get an upgrade to an aluminum block for its 5.4 liter DOHC supercharged V8 to shave some weight. That would be a direct response to the long held gripe that the 2007-2010 is a bit on the porky side. But there's more.

Dealer order guides for the 2011 GT-500 tell of us some new standard features but also an alluring new SVT package that promises to take it up a notch. First of all for 2011, the previously optional HID headlamps are now standard on the Shelby as they should be for what it costs. Ford also has added the same electric power assist steering (EPAS) found in the 2011 V6 and GT. Electric power steering takes load off the engine by removing the power steering pump and when done well increases stering feel. Could be a win win.

Advertisement

Other Ford standards come with the GT-500 like the new MyKey feature which allows you to program the car for different drivers, limiting top speed and other parameters. For convertible buyers, you will now get the same 19" wheels that come on the coupe. For 2010, the convertible came with 18" wheels. And now if you are a fan of the glass roof, you can now option one on the GT-500.

Now for the big news. SVT who has developed the GT-500 in the first place, has added what amounts to a premium track package you can check on the option list. This package includes the same high-end styled staggered 19" inch front and 20" rear wheels that the BOSS 302R race car has. Functionally, you get a 3.73 limited slip rear gear set and uniquely tuned springs and shocks. Then we get to the visuals. The SVT package includes special stripes for the top and sides, a special shift knob, and a different variation of the rear spoiler according to the order guide.

One would almost speculate that the new SVT Package is essentially an in-house replacement for or an equivalent to the GT-500KR variant. We will have to watch and see if a new KR model comes officially from Shelby for 2011. You just never know as Ford is always mum on what they are or are not doing in partnership with Shelby.

New colors Race Red and Ingot Silver are added to what you can get on the 2011 GT-500, but if you liked Blaze Yellow Tri-coat, you will be sad as it wont be available on the Shelby. Horsepower is likely to get revised upward, but final numbers are not yet released. Obviously we will wait to see when Ford releases photos and specs real soon, but it sure sounds like Ford is continuing to keep the SVT boys plenty busy.

Looks good except for the rear:confused:

The back isn't all bad. My big issues are the center exhaust, put them out where the stock stuff is, Or if they need to be in the center get rid of the round pipe and use a rectangular shaped tip. the shelby script get rid of it or put it up above the blacked out part. lastly I love the way they got rid of the backup lights between the tail lights but the new placement is horrible. Didn't they have them below or above the licence plate in the late 60's. Put them there.

I no longer see the need for the GT500 with the GT350 introduced. The GT350 will sport the new coyote engine and the 5.4l old school now. :rolleyes:

I no longer see the need for the GT500 with the GT350 introduced. The GT350 will sport the new coyote engine and the 5.4l old school now. :rolleyes:

The GT350 will NOT be sold through Ford. It's a Shelby-installed package that Ford Motor Company has no association with. It's also insanely expensive at over $63,000. At this point I'm not sure whether to feel sorry for people who will spend that kind of money for Carroll's sig on the dashboard or to just make fun of them.

63K for a mustang with that kind of power and performance with some sort of build quality finally doesnt seem to bad.

but hey what do I know I couldnt afford a regular GT mustang these days.

gt350 costs to much..Boss will be out in 2012..I just want to see what numbers the gt500 puts out

Last edited:
Just reading March "5.0 Mustang & Super Ford". Detailed specs of the Coyote.

Just bolting a supercharger to an 11:1, 7000 rpm Coyote does not seem like a great idea. Beefed up aluminum block designed for this, balanced, forged crank and rods but rods a little light for a SC. It can accept some 4.6 rods but it's a tight fit in that crankcase.

Redesigned cross-flow cooling system looks good. Also has oil sprayers to cool underside of pistons. Variable cam timing is mechanically elegant but electronically complex.

I forgot where I read it but tuning the variable cam timing has given the 3v somewhere in the hood of 40rwhp. I also remember 15 in another article...

But what Im saying is 4 cams is better then 2...Who knows what can happen with just bolt ons and a tune. Im excited about this engine family and the electronics they hav ebacking it up

gt350 costs to much..Boss will be out in 2012..I just want to see what numbers the gt500 puts out

You can get the Boss Mustang in 2010. I think it's called the Boss302R and it's a part number. Yes, you read that correct. You go to the parts counter and give the guy the part number and $79,000 and you get a 2010 Mustang with the new 5.0 engine and special paint scheme. For $129,000 you can opt for the Track R version.

You can get the Boss Mustang in 2010. I think it's called the Boss302R and it's a part number. Yes, you read that correct. You go to the parts counter and give the guy the part number and $79,000 and you get a 2010 Mustang with the new 5.0 engine and special paint scheme. For $129,000 you can opt for the Track R version.

At least you dont deal with the salespeople, sounds cool. So the parts dept get the profits? And does it come in a crate?

Sounds too expensive for my taste, it is still a mustang, thats viper and ZR1 territory at that point. I bet I can get more rear end in the Viper then a decked out mustang, who needs the back seat the hood is long enough.
None make sense. Ford needs to make an affordable sports car. Enough over 50k pony cars.

All this stuff is getting too expensive......just more reason why I'm keeping my t-bird forever. At what point do you say, "well, the Ford Mustang is a cool car.....but a house is also cool."

Rico..Compared to what Ford is against its affordable. As for a real sports car? I dont see ford making one. The Boss I was talking about isnt the track version they have out now.

And with the stangs being on par with the M3 as it is track wise...What do we consider an M3? And 2014 they say IRS may make a comeback

When you already own a house...The Mustang starts to look like a cool car..But only if you already own a tbird...So in reality....House Tbird mustang

When you already own a house...The Mustang starts to look like a cool car..But only if you already own a tbird...So in reality....House Tbird mustang

Thats if its paid off, how many houses have mortgages out there. :rolleyes:

Over 35k For a mustang starts to get pretty dumb. Some many better cars in the 40-60k unless you want to store the thing after you bought it.

Mortgages, car payments....I have never bought a brand new car ...always bought one a few years old and in cash. I always figured a mortgage is needed unless you have 700,000 or so lying around to pay in cash so that cant be avoided (at least for me) . Buying a car on teh other hand in cash is more affordable.

In the past I could never imagine spending 35,000 let alone 60,000 for a new car that will loose half its value in a few years. Lately though I figure I can afford a new car however everytime I go to buy rumors come out something better is going to replace it. At this rate Ill never get a new car..Seriously.

And as for buying a 35,000 car compared to a 60,000 one. Between insurance costs and interest/payments and loss of retail over a few years..I'd pass. I want bang for the buck. With the stang pulling tracktimes of the m3 I cant see a car more expensive being a better bang for the buck out of the showroom.

All that being said I went to look at and was going to pick up a used cl600 in Florida back in january. Came back with a bad carfax(accident) so I passed. But think of it this way. A $100,000 car plus going for $20,000+. Never in a million years would a mint condition low mile mustang loose that percentage of of value. And it sure the hell couldnt loose that type of $$$

So I'm curious as to what car youde be looking at around the same price range or a little more that would be a beter choice? And dont say Hyundai because they missed the boat.

Back