keep blowing starter cilinoids

JDC

Hey guys,I've got a 90 SC that I put a new starter cilinoid in and it fired up and ran.Shut it off and turned it on again,all lights work,hear fuel pump,won't start...not even a click,click or tick,tick.Checked all connections and wiring,there good,this is my second cilinoid in as many days.Any ideas.thanks,JDC

hello. you should get a cheap test light and verify ignition + at the smll wire that goes to the solenoid. have someone turn key to the "crank" position, the light should light up brightly, if not check your ignition switch.they cause these sorts of intermittents

Hey guys,I've got a 90 SC that I put a new starter cilinoid in and it fired up and ran.Shut it off and turned it on again,all lights work,hear fuel pump,won't start...not even a click,click or tick,tick.Checked all connections and wiring,there good,this is my second cilinoid in as many days.Any ideas.thanks,JDC

Read this thread for some tips.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109171

Did you replace the starter solenoid or the starter relay ? Solenoid is attached to the starter motor and the starter relay is mounted under the hood near the power distribution box.

Suggest you do this before buying more parts. Crawl under the car and locate the starter motor. There will be a small wire with a crappy spade terminal connection...give it a wiggle and if it's loose fitting, that is most likely the problem. Unplug the wire, take some pliers and squeeze the female portion of the connector to get a tighter fit and reinstall.

David

Last edited:
keep blowing starter silinoids

Hi and thanks for getting back w/me.I tested the small wire on the silinoid,it didn't light up.I have a 1990 car shop manual.On page 31-20-2 ,it tells me how to test the ignition switch.It talks about a continuity test and shows a diagram of what looks like a fuse panel.I don't know how to test it from here w/the test light.It talked about testing to see if the neutral safety switch was ok before I tested the ignition,it won't start in either neutral or park.I went under the car to listen to the starter and there was know noise at all.I've got power to the starter,everything else comes on:brake lights,dash lights under the hood,and by the way I just bought this ignition switch and silinoid.thanks for all the help,really appreciate it.JDC

Hi and thanks for getting back w/me.I tested the small wire on the silinoid,it didn't light up.I have a 1990 car shop manual.On page 31-20-2 ,it tells me how to test the ignition switch.It talks about a continuity test and shows a diagram of what looks like a fuse panel.I don't know how to test it from here w/the test light.It talked about testing to see if the neutral safety switch was ok before I tested the ignition,it won't start in either neutral or park.I went under the car to listen to the starter and there was know noise at all.I've got power to the starter,everything else comes on:brake lights,dash lights under the hood,and by the way I just bought this ignition switch and silinoid.thanks for all the help,really appreciate it.JDC

I still don't understand if the part you replaced was the Starter Relay or the Starter Solenoid. Did you replace the part under the hood (starter relay) that's bolted to the inner fender, or did you replace the part of the starter motor (starter solenoid) that engauges the bendix and switches on the battery power to the starter motor ?

Did you check the connection of the small wire with spade style terminal on the starter, to insure it was fitting tight and making good contact ?

David

keep replaceing silnoids

I replaced the one on the fender and I looked at the starter and it is o.k.I ckecked all the conections and they were good to go.I also checked for power at the starter I've got power.Is there anything else I can check? Thanks for the come back .JDC

keep replaceing silinoid

Maybe it might be a bad relay I just replaced this one that's on the car now [the one that's on the fender] I'm just trying to see why I keep blowing or what ever, is happen to it.Thanks JDC

One idea you can try is to get one of those trigger switches that mechanics use to "bump" the starte from under the hood. I think if you hook it from the one big post on the relay to the other bidg post on the relay, then press the trigger switch, you should bypass the relay and see if the starter is working directly.

I have seen other methods used to attempt this same thing, but this seems like the safest one.

Yep it worked It would turn over real good.Now what?What gets me about this is it ran for a few seconds then I shut it off and now it won't turn over not even a just a little bit.All the dash lights light up but it just won't fire up ?Well I hope someone here has a nother thought about this ?Thanks for all the responce from all of ya'll. JDC

You mean it won't turn over now, even using the trigger from under the hood?

If that is what you mean, then I think you may have a bad starter. You can try tapping the starter with a hammer when it won't turn. If it then turns, then there's your clue.

If that's not what you meant, then please clarify and I'll try to help you a little further.

It turned over when I used the trigger,but it doesn't run.I didn't let the engine start up I just let the trigger turn the engine over.I didn't know that you can start the engine and let it run that way {with the trigger still attached to the relay}.I hope that I stated this right I don't mean to be so absent minded.I know what I want to say,but can't always get it down on paper right.I hope this answers your questions,and I really do appreciate your help.Thanks,JDC

You might have a bad ignition switch. Under the column. Or if the car is manual you might have a bad clutch safty switch.

You said it the engine turns with the starter hardwired but not with the ignition key? Correct. Those are the only two other variables other then a busted wire somewhere along.

AND YOU ARE PRESSING THE BRAKES BEFORE STARTING RIGHT? 90s have a push to start feature that unless the brake is pressed the car wont start.

Last edited:
Yep I'm pressing the brake and it is an auto. I just replaced the ignition switch before I put in this new relay so I think that I'll replace the ignition switch first this time. Thanks for the come back you guys are realy helping me out.I'll let you know how this turns out when I get the money to do this.Thanks JDC

It turned over when I used the trigger,but it doesn't run.I didn't let the engine start up I just let the trigger turn the engine over.I didn't know that you can start the engine and let it run that way {with the trigger still attached to the relay}.I hope that I stated this right I don't mean to be so absent minded.I know what I want to say,but can't always get it down on paper right.I hope this answers your questions,and I really do appreciate your help.Thanks,JDC

I think it should be able to start using the trigger ... if you have the key turned to "on". If that doesn't do it, then maybe there is a problem in the ignition circuit. You could try testing for spark; that's easy enough. You can just pop one of the connectors off at the coil pack and let it sit just a teeny bit out of position. You should be able to see the spark if it is firing the plugs.

Hey there young man I've one of those spark plug testers I'll try that. What I think I'll do if the parts store will let me is get both the relay and igintion switch replace them one at a time to see which one it turns out to be.I hope the store will let me do me do this I think I'll have it running this afternoon.Thanks for the come back I'll let you know what happen.Thanks JDC

Back