once again, SRA posi in an irs pumpkin?

scxr7

this question has been asked a million times before, but I just wanted confirmation from you guys.. my cougar has a 7.5 rear, I bought a motive gear set and ford racing trac-lok for a mustang 7.5". As long as I remove the cir-clips from my half shafts, this should be a direct swap, correct? since the axles are held in place by the knuckle and the larger axle bolt on the hub. the axles don't have any risk of sliding out. sooo...whats the point of cir-clips?

If you have an SC Based Cougar you should have an 8.8 Rear end - only the NA V6s have the 7.5 to my knowledge.

-Tim

is anyone else having trouble with sccoa's server tonight? anyways, I forgot to mention that my cougar is a 1996 n/a v6 based car with a 7.5 rear end.

bump. just want to confirm that removing the cir-clips wont cause any harm to the diff.

If you remove the circlips how is the axle going to stay retained in the differential? They won't, find a 7.5 trac loc from another 3.8 and put it in, or you have to have the spider gears machined for the circlip.

If you remove the circlips how is the axle going to stay retained in the differential? They won't, find a 7.5 trac loc from another 3.8 and put it in, or you have to have the spider gears machined for the circlip.

The axles are held in by the spindles. The only way the axle could come out is if it breaks first, or if the spindle or a control arm broke. Otherwise there is nowhere for it to go.

And scxr7, no removing the circlips will not damage the diff. However your car has an 8.8" rear, not the 7.5", unless you swapped to a 7.5 for some reason.

I'm pretty sure Ford designed the circlips to be there for a reason, and your also supposed to replace them when you pull a CV shaft. I am sure they will come out enough that the seal surface on the shaft may cause a leak at minimum. I wouldn't run with out them, but do what you want.

Everytime I pull an IRS rear apart the clips seem to be missing. I know my current teal car has a rear that is untouched. I want to see whats up with this one when I do the cobra rear. As been said it cant relly go anywhere

Without the circlips to seat the stub shafts into the differential side gears, the shafts can slide out enough to loose contact between the ABS sensor (mounted on pumpkin) and the sensor ring (mounted on halfshaft).

Most aftermarket diffs are compatible with the IRS circlips. Are you certian that the one you purchased is not compatible ?

David

Yeah I'm certain the trac-lok I bought isn't for an IRS. I bought it on v6power, I wasn't thinking ahead when I bought it. I just bought it without any research. Also, I'm 100% positive I have a 7.5 rear in my car. once again, this isn't a SC this is a BASE model cougar. it even has 7.5" clearly stamped into the back diff cover. actually...I'm 98.6% positive that I have a 7.5 since I haven't actually measured anything with a tape. But its all stock as far as suspension and drive line goes. My ABS has been malfunctioning for a long time, so if it gives the abs module a bad signal its no big deal. I'm not sure that sensor in the pumpkin even works anyways.

Back