wheel hop

slowpoke

looking for opinions, facts, thoughts ext here.

can engine mounts and or tranny cross member bushings have anything to do with wheel hop?

i never have a problem with wheel hop untill i rebuilt the engine. now in first it has horrible wheel hop.

in second gear it will act like im on ice, the tires will roast instantly with what feels like no traction at all.

ive ready alot in the search, and mostly all i see is bushing for the rear end, i did all that. so other then getting air bags im at a brain fart moment here:mad:

Look for an article that describes how to solidify the forward rear suspension control arm (?) where they mount to the frame at the jacking point. They say it cures a lot of ills.

in second gear it will act like im on ice, the tires will roast instantly with what feels like no traction at all.

It's winter and it will get better when temperatures are above 50.

Look for an article that describes how to solidify the forward rear suspension control arm (?) where they mount to the frame at the jacking point. They say it cures a lot of ills.

And it isn't recommended. It alters handling of the car.

Wheel hop is mostly fixed by replacing lower rear control arm bushings with Delrin or Poly, and good tires. It is not the IRStoDiff mount bushings. You will sacrifice "the toe when cornering" feature of our cars.

Last edited:
Rico,

I have serious doubt as to the performance of that function once you stress the componants past what the factory designed them for. For instance a 1.5" dropped car with a 10" rim a 285 tire and over 400ftlbs of rear torque change things slightly. Im sure there will alway sbe argument about it but for a high performance vehicle with updated suspension brakes tires etc...I'd say..get rid of it. Wheel hop is far to destructive

Rico,

I have serious doubt as to the performance of that function once you stress the componants past what the factory designed them for. For instance a 1.5" dropped car with a 10" rim a 285 tire and over 400ftlbs of rear torque change things slightly. Im sure there will alway sbe argument about it but for a high performance vehicle with updated suspension brakes tires etc...I'd say..get rid of it. Wheel hop is far to destructive

I agree. But none the less if you choose to keep a stock suspension and want to retain the feature then you must deal with Wheel hop. Life is made out of choices. I choose No Wheel hop. :D

Better tires...Adjustble lca's...and maybe some peformance springs.

The reason I say adjustable lca's is...even if you replace the stock with same size aftermarket, the poly bushings which are stiffer than the stock rubber bushings will change pinion angle slightly and cause unwanted stress on u-joints. The stock rubber bushings have a little give unlike poly bushings.

Better tires...Adjustble lca's...and maybe some peformance springs.

The reason I say adjustable lca's is...even if you replace the stock with same size aftermarket, the poly bushings which are stiffer than the stock rubber bushings will change pinion angle slightly and cause unwanted stress on u-joints. The stock rubber bushings have a little give unlike poly bushings.

There are no aftermarket LCA's for our cars. And stock rubber bushings have more give than poly. Also the LCA's have no affect on the diff. The pinion angle remains constant.

I have a set of solid IRS bushings Im going to use and set my pinion angle up lovely. The poly rear mount I have will be getting two bolts through it to make it solid as well.

There are no aftermarket LCA's for our cars. And stock rubber bushings have more give than poly. Also the LCA's have no affect on the diff. The pinion angle remains constant.

I don't think he was talking about the pinion angle, more the axle angle.

Back