Help needed

XRSEVEN

Is there anyone in the Harrisburg, PA area on this forum with parts? Here's the deal. I have a 1990 Cougar XR7 and it has rusted rockers, floors and other issues. It is an automatic and I want to keep the engine for a transplant but I want to change to a manual transmission so I need a flywheel and don't know what balance I need. I would like to score up a used one and have it resurfaced. I have a t5 to install behind it and I am a little confused as to what bellhousing to use and clutch. I guess I'm not too far removed from using a SC 5 speed also if I could find one. I would also like a EEC computer for a manual transmission. I am willing to pay shipping for parts just need help to get started. When I part this thing out, I will have alot of cougar stuff if people are interested. Just need the weather to get better here first. Trying to do this on a budget. I am not afraid to get dirty so if this flywheel can come from a donor car other than the SC, could you please let me know. Thanks for all the support this forum gives.

Is there anyone in the Harrisburg, PA area on this forum with parts? Here's the deal. I have a 1990 Cougar XR7 and it has rusted rockers, floors and other issues. It is an automatic and I want to keep the engine for a transplant but I want to change to a manual transmission so I need a flywheel and don't know what balance I need. I would like to score up a used one and have it resurfaced. I have a t5 to install behind it and I am a little confused as to what bellhousing to use and clutch. I guess I'm not too far removed from using a SC 5 speed also if I could find one. I would also like a EEC computer for a manual transmission. I am willing to pay shipping for parts just need help to get started. When I part this thing out, I will have alot of cougar stuff if people are interested. Just need the weather to get better here first. Trying to do this on a budget. I am not afraid to get dirty so if this flywheel can come from a donor car other than the SC, could you please let me know. Thanks for all the support this forum gives.

I currently have a flywheel, clutch, & pressure plate (almost new). I also have the computer from a 89 cougar 5 spd.

Shoot me a PM offer on the parts. I am about 1.5 hours away from harrisburg, if are willing to pick up the parts.
Thanks
Ken
PS this should be in the parts wanted section

Is the Supercharger plumbing the same between automatic and manual? Is there a "Blow off Valve" on either? Just trying to figure some of this stuff out. thanks for your help. Ken, sent you a PM. Thanks.

Is the Supercharger plumbing the same between automatic and manual? Is there a "Blow off Valve" on either? Just trying to figure some of this stuff out. thanks for your help. Ken, sent you a PM. Thanks.

I will get you the information tonight. The plumbing is the same for all years and trans types. There is no blow off valve on the supercharger system.

fyi, i got a m5r2 for ken about half a year ago. im very hard on my car and the tranny he sold me is still better then the original tranny ever was. cant go wrong getting a tranny from ken imo. :)

as for the sc, the only thing is a valve that allows free flow from the tb when at light throttle(vac) side of boost gauge.

I guess this would be easier. I want to use a 94 t5(can be switched to a 86-93 input if necessary) behind a 3.8 sc motor. Can someone tell me which bellhousing, flywheel and clutch setup I would need. Do these parts exist as far as junkyard finds(bellhousing and flywhell)? Any help would be great. I will buy a sc flywheel if it will fit inside the needed bellhousing. This is a 90 Cougar XR7 supercharged car. Thanks.

I guess this would be easier. I want to use a 94 t5(can be switched to a 86-93 input if necessary) behind a 3.8 sc motor. Can someone tell me which bellhousing, flywheel and clutch setup I would need. Do these parts exist as far as junkyard finds(bellhousing and flywhell)? Any help would be great. I will buy a sc flywheel if it will fit inside the needed bellhousing. This is a 90 Cougar XR7 supercharged car. Thanks.

A stock t5 won't last 5 minutes behind our motors, and thats if you can get everything to fit because the stick location is different in our setup. Its not a direct bolt in.

Stick with the m5r2.

Fraser

Use a 3.8L bell housing, mustang or thunderbird. I am using a mustang stock clutch in a T5. The rating on it is like 270ftlb of torque, the newer ones are 300. But since you are putting it in a XR7 I would go with the M5R2 because everything will line up and make life easier.

And it is rated to handle the higher torque loads.

Justin

You use the v8 302 bellhousing that comes with whatever T5 you have.

As far as lasting..I wouldnt put the SC tranny in my worst enemies car. Bottom line is its a truck tranny. I hate it. I've blown three up. Dont even think about running a race clutch with one. They have weak input shafts. Meanwhile Ive run t5's with much more power and race clutches. Sure Ive blown them up to but not like that monstrosity of a transmission!

Plenty of guys in the stang community running world class t5's/tremac(which is what that tranny is) behind both stock and modified 3.8's making much more power then a stock sc motor.

I dont know what car your putting this but if it sa fox ody there is absolutely no reason to wan tto run the SC tranny. Lot more work to install s well.

All that being said you can use the stock auto computer and motor as a whole

I believe that from 86 and newer the T5 are all world class. Its just an upgraded t5. Its not the power that kills them, its reving the engine, then dumping the clutch that hurts them the most. Not saying that they won't break, just that if you take it easy, then they will last.

Hey DamonSlopokeBaumann, this is going into a 63.5 falcon hardtop. The T5 that I have is a 94 mustang cobra with roller pocket bearing so I think I will be safe. The only question is, what flywheel can I use? Can I use a mustang 3.8 flywheel and starter as welland what year? My motor is a 90 out of a 1990 Cougar XR7. Just want to make sure I have the right balance flywheel, starter, bell and clutch. Now to try to round up everything and I will buy a new clutch. I have a Ford Motorsports T5 in my 86 5.0 with E7 heads, GT40 upper and lower, 24 lb injectors, proM 75 MM bullet and A9L with Diablo chip and the tranny shifts like the day it was removed from the box. Thanks for all of your help.

Last edited:
Hey DamonSlopokeBaumann, this is going into a 63.5 falcon hardtop. The T5 that I have is a 94 mustang cobra with roller pocket bearing so I think I will be safe. The only question is, what flywheel can I use? Can I use a mustang 3.8 flywheel and starter as welland what year? My motor is a 90 out of a 1990 Cougar XR7. Just want to make sure I have the right balance flywheel, starter, bell and clutch. Now to try to round up everything and I will buy a new clutch. I have a Ford Motorsports T5 in my 86 5.0 with E7 heads, GT40 upper and lower, 24 lb injectors, proM 75 MM bullet and A9L with Diablo chip and the tranny shifts like the day it was removed from the box. Thanks for all of your help.

Since this is custom, are you keeping the 90 harness/computer? if you are than a neutral balanced flywheel, I used a 2001+ mustang 3.8L flywheel. You can find a clutch kit for it using the same 01+ mustang. The bell housing will have 3.8L stamped on the side and will bolt right up.

I used a 90SC engine in my mustang. The t5 bolted right up and I used the SC starter till it gave out and now i have the mustang starter is in there.

Justin

Yep, I intend on keeping the harness and computer from the donor car all intact. I've wired up EFI 5.0 in my 64 falcon and 66 fairlane so it shouldn't be that difficult I wouldn't think. Is the 5 speed computer better? Thanks for all your help. I want this to be a relatively quick build so I am trying to round up the parts while it's still a blizzard here in the Northeast. Thanks.

Back