Early Blown HG Signs

shoalcracker

rs

Car has been sitting for 3 years. Info is second hand- potential purchase.

Car will start but is running rough. Engine light is on. Temperature gauge is not reading and heater is strictly cold air. No antifreeze in oil- yet.

(Seller observations)

Are any or all of the above the early signs of the HG going out?

Any other probables. Distance is too far for first hand view.

Tks

maybe some of the more experienced buyers here could give their input but i would say price would be the key thing

rs

Car will start but is running rough. Engine light is on. Temperature gauge is not reading and heater is strictly cold air. No antifreeze in oil- yet.

(Seller observations)

Tks

you need to check the codes, also does it have water in the coolant system? if its been sitting for 3 years i would think more along the lines that it could have bad, or chewed up wires from rodents. and or bad gas. it could have vaq leaks, bad gaskets, when a car, any car sits for that long theres alot of things that could be wrong, like the reply before me, think heavily on the price. if its cheap enough then it might be worth it. if they are trying to sell it for blue book then pass it up. others might feel or think differently but thats my take on it.

as for the hg's usually but not all the time the engine will start running hot and or will have white smoke out the exhaust.

hope i helped :)

rs

(Seller observations)

Tks
Well, mine sat for 3 or 4 years without being started. I drained the old crap out of the radiator and coolant resorvior and filled it back up. My temp gauge is currently not working but I have an aftermarket one and my car seems fine. It gets hot (like any normal SC) but not too bad. And not to mention 160k miles on stock head gaskets. I'm highly suprised mine aren't blown. You're probably alright.

Back