building exhaust.

90turbo1

so starting on my exhaust build and I know this has been coverd a few times.

i have emission testing so I need cats.

what I was thinking was doing this.

off of stock manifolds (cleaned up a bit) move the cats down a bit next to transmission area. then use a magnaflow 2.5 dual in/ 2.5 dual out connected to these pipes..

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-116/92-dsh-97-THUNDERBIRD-EXHAUST-TUBING/Detail

then maybee not use rear mufflers just pipes out the back. but if its too loud then throw some mufflers on there later.

is the magnaflow muffler good or should I go with a x-pipe muffler where the stock resonator was...

let me know

That mendrel company has a full exhaust system without cats, you can just cut out a section of pipe on both sides and weld cats in place. I'd say go with an xpipe and flowmasters out back. magnaflow has too much of a drone I'd say. like a deep "hum" instead of a 'burble' that flowmasters have at idle. depends on the number of chambers.

if you need cats you can always use flanges to attach the cats then make a set of straight pipes with flanges to remove the cats and install the pipes once smog come install the cats.

I'd venture to guess if you got performance cats you won't see or feel a difference on how the car performs :cool:, but they will sure help out with the drone part of things.

Fraser

yes, I have searched and read both those posts.

but my main question is.

do I need an x-pipe muffler or just a straight through muffler.

i know there are benifits to a x-pipe or crosover tube and was just wondering about that.

That mendrel company has a full exhaust system without cats, you can just cut out a section of pipe on both sides and weld cats in place. I'd say go with an xpipe and flowmasters out back. magnaflow has too much of a drone I'd say. like a deep "hum" instead of a 'burble' that flowmasters have at idle. depends on the number of chambers.

i am not seeing a full exhaust system on there web site.

where is it can you post a link.

thanks

Here is the link to the other section. It is for the 4.6L V8. Can't tell you if it will be a direct fit for the SC but I'll guess it won't. http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-233/94-dsh-97-THUNDERBIRD-4.6L-EXHAUST/Detail

I would install cats, resonator, and mufflers for a good sound with minimal drone. I built my own 2 1/2" dual system with the Magnaflow 2-in-2-out X-muffler/resonator and Magnaflow mufflers out back. The drone was a bit too much. I replaced the Magnaflows in the back with Borla mufflers but the drone is still there. Next I will replace the center Magnaflow with a longer unit in an attempt to reduce the drone.

Keep in mind the exhaust note is very subjective and it will never sound like a V8.... what I think sounds good may sound bad to you. I never liked the sound of my old Flowmaster cat-back system.

Good luck.

Bryan

i am not seeing a full exhaust system on there web site.

where is it can you post a link.

thanks

Ok here is the skinny. I placed my order for the mid pipe kit from those guys from an early tank Bird. I asked them if I was going to get pipes after the differential and he assured me that the $120 will have that. Just like you I want a kit with minimal amounts of fabrication. Lots of folks here have access to a welder. But some dont. Their X pipe section is available if you choose to go that route, that will give you pipes all the way past the trans X member then you will be responsible for the downtubes and the cats. PS they make downtubes and cats but for a V8 since that was the intitial car they mocked when they built their system.

The X pipe and just two mufflers at the back it will be too loud IMO and raspy This is a V6 not a well pulse balanced V8. I had a system in with no resonator at one point, but it was loud and had a drone. If you are in your teens or lower twenties you might find this cool and appealing. So jump on it if you are. Once you get older and want to hear over the factory radio and not some $1500booming system them do yourself a favor and get a Magnaflow Muffler/Resonator for the middle of the car, Magnaflow will provide you with an X internally, and delete some of the raspiness. You will be responsible for mating your new pipes from exhaust depot to the resonator and fabricate pipes from there forward.
For the back its your choice. Magnaflow, Borla, Flowmasters Ext. You need a dual 2.5" muffler. Offset on one side is better but not required. Then you are responsible for creating tips or downturns.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ok here is the skinny. I placed my order for the mid pipe kit from those guys from an early tank Bird. I asked them if I was going to get pipes after the differential and he assured me that the $120 will have that. Just like you I want a kit with minimal amounts of fabrication. Lots of folks here have access to a welder. But some dont. Their X pipe section is available if you choose to go that route, that will give you pipes all the way past the trans X member then you will be responsible for the downtubes and the cats. PS they make downtubes and cats but for a V8 since that was the intitial car they mocked when they built their system.

The X pipe and just two mufflers at the back it will be too loud IMO and raspy This is a V6 not a well pulse balanced V8. I had a system in with no resonator at one point, but it was loud and had a drone. If you are in your teens or lower twenties you might find this cool and appealing. So jump on it if you are. Once you get older and want to hear over the factory radio and not some $1500booming system them do yourself a favor and get a Magnaflow Muffler/Resonator for the middle of the car, Magnaflow will provide you with an X internally, and delete some of the raspiness. You will be responsible for mating your new pipes from exhaust depot to the resonator and fabricate pipes from there forward.
For the back its your choice. Magnaflow, Borla, Flowmasters Ext. You need a dual 2.5" muffler. Offset on one side is better but not required. Then you are responsible for creating tips or downturns.

Good luck.

That is my orginal question. the magnaflo is not a "x" inside. from what I can tell its two perforated straight through pipes that are wrapped in sound insulation. but have not way of crossing over exhaust pulses.... so i found that dynomax (not there cheap crap) makes a true "x" configuration muffler/resonator but its a bit more money.

i do understand that with out the resonator it may be loud but when I got the car it had no resonator on it and factory rear mufflers converted to tru dual with a cross over pipe and it was in no way loud on freeway to me and wife didnt think so either.

hmm so i have some deciding to do, I am definatly going with the mandrel kit for the middle pipes if anything. rear mufflers will most likely be flowmaster (not sure on series yet) with turn downs so they are up in bumper cover like they should. as for the resonator i am kinda leaning towards a removable resonator with flanges on both sides that I can swap out at will with a x pipe set up if I desire.

That is my orginal question. the magnaflo is not a "x" inside.

The Magnaflow 14386 I have on my LSC is an X.

From their web site:

Features and Benefits: Straight-Through Wide-Open Performance, Reversible, Tru-X Perforated Core, Lifetime Warranty, Dyno Tested And Proven To Make Power, Performance Gains In Horsepower And Torque, Great Sound - Has A Smooth Deep Tone, All Welded, Built To Last.

THANKS, sorry i was looking at it after you posted and I missed that.. i can swear that I looked at that muffler and it was straight through....

anyway so thats the cheaper resonator..

it looks like the 14386 is an x core... but the 11386 non polished one says just straight through perforated core...

thats why i didnt see it, I was looking at the non polished versions..

it looks like the 14386 is an x core... but the 11386 non polished one says just straight through perforated core...

thats why i didnt see it, I was looking at the non polished versions..

I am using the 11386 as the resonator on my custom setup and I can tell you it is the X-pipe design. Call Magnaflow to confirm. 1.800.824.8664

Bryan

Back