Early model vs. Late model Engines

TSC89

SCCoA Member
What are the differences between the SC early engines from 89 to 93 and the late SC engines from 94/95? I have done the search and came up with several short answers but would like to make a list. Thanks.

There are some things missing in that. Some more differences are floating wristpins in the 94-95, stronger rod's, windage tray, The timing covers I believe are different, as well as the crank sensor setup. For some reason Im thinking the rotating weight is also lower on the late model, but not sure on that one.

There are some things missing in that. Some more differences are floating wristpins in the 94-95, stronger rod's, windage tray, The timing covers I believe are different, as well as the crank sensor setup. For some reason Im thinking the rotating weight is also lower on the late model, but not sure on that one.

The late models also had a higher compression ratio, I believe 8.3 and 8.5.

Larger 36lb injectors and a crappier camshaft..And improved exhaust manifolds..Just to add a few more then what was said here or in that post

I know the purpose of a Windage tray. But how much of a difference does one make on a 3.8l engine that revs only to 5500rpms. Was this overkill on Fords part? Some HI-PO SC engines owners even drop it since they can no longer use it.

The bastard owner of Blue Tongue MS made a girdle which i bought and he also designed a windage tray for the girdle that was simply a flat piece of alum. On my latest rebuild I assume the tray is still there unless DD didnt find it necessary to put it in or had a hard time using it as it was bolted on with stacked up washers for clearence. I did not question if it made it back to my engine, till now. I assume its there. :rolleyes: But wonder if this component is really important or just another piece that helps in a small way.

You find windage trays in many oem motors these day specifically to improve fuel economy. The slightly less parasitic drag from oil splashing onto the crank helps add one more .01% of improved fuel economy that auto makers strive for.

Are there any differences to the suspension between early and late models? I thought I read on here that some preferred the early models because they cornered better? Either that or I was drinking that day :)

The 89 models have the biggest sway bars of all the model years.
The spring rates also changed for different model years but I don't what years that Ford made those changes.

I know the purpose of a Windage tray. But how much of a difference does one make on a 3.8l engine that revs only to 5500rpms. Was this overkill on Fords part? Some HI-PO SC engines owners even drop it since they can no longer use it.

The bastard owner of Blue Tongue MS made a girdle which i bought and he also designed a windage tray for the girdle that was simply a flat piece of alum. On my latest rebuild I assume the tray is still there unless DD didnt find it necessary to put it in or had a hard time using it as it was bolted on with stacked up washers for clearence. I did not question if it made it back to my engine, till now. I assume its there. :rolleyes: But wonder if this component is really important or just another piece that helps in a small way.

A windage tray is always good, and yes Ricardo, all your stuff is back in your motor. That some people remove their windage trays is a function of personal choice and has nothing to do with the importance of it or it's functionality. All high performance motors that I build get a windage tray unless either the owner doesn't have one, can't find one, or didn't want one. Since you can't just buy them anymore, you have to source one to be able to install it.

Back