Winterizing my car. Any store theres outside?

91BLOWNSC

Just wondering a few things. My car needs some work done to it so I figured I would get a winter car and I did but I am now going to have to park my SC outside. I had a couple questions about this. First is it bad to park it outside? What things should I do to make it ok. It will be parked on newly pured cement. Should i buy an outside cover or just a tarp will do? I have old tires that are going to be replaced next spring so i won't have to worry about flatspots on tires.. There down to the threads anyways. BUt I heard your supposed to keep pressure off the suspension. Is this true? I will be parking outside that way during the winter I can pull it into the garage during the days i have off work and school and do the things i need to do to it. Anything I should know to keep it from rusting or just other important things? all help is appreciated!!

I drove my car most winters and always parked it outside. Apparently, when you drive through salt and the freezing and thawing action from parking indoors starts the rusting process.

My car has very little rust for an '89 (pretty well mint with the original paint).

Originally, the car was undercoated and have had the rust proofing touched up over the years.

My advice is:
Get a good car cover that breathes, but keeps the rain off. Get it undercoated - Krowntek or equivalent oily (not waxy) stuff so it penetrates and displaces moisture.

Get car stands to ease pressure off the suspension. Put steel wool in the exhaust and mothballs or rodent repellent to keep the critters out of the car. I ommitted this step and the little bggers ate up the insulation, chewed up the vents, and nested in the trunk. Nasty.

One of the sites posted winterizing tips. Someone else may recall where it was.

Who makes?

Would you happen to know who makes a good cover? Should I just get one from my local auto parts store or should I go somewhere different? My car is in pretty damn good shape to for a 91 but it does have a little rust on the underbody...If I have it undercoated does it just go right over the current rust? Thanks for the info

Steve Richards

Say.. sorry to bust in here.. but just wanted to send you a note on your car..

I too had a 1993 XR7 that I bought brand new.. I believe it did not have undercoating... and I too drove this car year round.. and parked outside...

All I ever did was run the car through the Car Wash with high pressure under wash.. and the underside of the car was spotless...

Then I had to go and total the damn thing with around 190,000 miles on it.. I really hoped to make it to 200,000 but didn't ...

I believe that if you drive your car all winter long.. and park in a garage.. you may be o.k.. just find good car wash that has high pressure under wash.... and do that once a week for sure..

but if you garage is HEATED... this is where the Salt starts to do it's nasty... a heated garage. I believe will accelerate the rate of corrosion from salt.. like 10 times.. <--- may be wrong on that.. may be 9 times hehehhe.. but it is alot faster in a heated garage

also ... Run your car long enough to thoroughly heat up the exhaust... this will evaporate the moisture... Short trips that don't let the exhaust heat up enough.. are killer and the exhaust system..

Karl

Good point Karl.

As far as a car cover, almost any car parts store would stock the major brands. A single layer cover lets water pass through, so you want to do a little better than that. I think I have an "evolution 3" costing about $100 US, bought it a long time ago in Buffalo can't remember where now.

They sell some that are ok at Canadian Tire (Don't think you have any affiliated down there now).

Sorry

Well..

Well alright thanks for the info guys. I will be buying a car-cover that is for sure. But I will also be pulling my car into the garage throughout the winter probably a lot. I won't have to worry about corrision with salt seeing as how it won't be exposed to it cause i am not driving it. What happens if I don't take the pressure of the suspension? I am getting new spings for it this winter so Im not sure if that matters to me either. I am just hoping its ok to park it outside with a car cover.

Back