New Supercoupe....Steering wheel jerks opposite direction while cornering??

89SCGUY

Seems as I go around corners the steering wheel and car for that matter try to jerk slightly the opposite way I am turning. Like someone is tugging quickly on the wheel? What the world could be causing this?

Thanks
Adam

Sounds like the speed-sensitive power steering feature might be acting up.

Also:
- grabbing brake(s)
- bad wheel bearing(s)
- loose rack mounts
- failing rack/pinion
- failing flex-coupler
- contaminated/dirty fluid (ice?)
- blocked/pinched/deteriorated hose(s)
- loose steering wheel/column mounts
- worn suspension: ball joints/control arms/links/broken or cracked mounts
- combination of above

Sounds like the speed-sensitive power steering feature might be acting up.

Also:
- grabbing brake(s)
- bad wheel bearing(s)
- loose rack mounts
- failing rack/pinion
- failing flex-coupler
- contaminated/dirty fluid (ice?)
- blocked/pinched/deteriorated hose(s)
- loose steering wheel/column mounts
- worn suspension: ball joints/control arms/links/broken or cracked mounts
- combination of above

Holy hell....so basically take it to a shop and have it put on a lift to check out the suspension components? What about someone capable of testing or fixing the speed sensitive power steering?

Thanks for the reply by the way
Adam

As i search and read further I see I have become a common victim of what could be a failing EVO or perhaps a bad rack. However all the post I have found are very old. Does anyone have any new findings or info on this issue. I do not want to be the guy that replaces everything to still have the problem.

The first thing you need to check is the fluid level. Once you do that, we can go from there.

My guess would be the rack. See if it's leaking fluid (it more than likely is) and if it is, bam. The rack on the '94 was leaking fluid but I dealt with it. It only acted funny when taking corners at speed.

-Corey

sounds more like a toe out condition to me. when putting in steering racks at work we have to drive them over to another building to perform the alingment. i have had a few act like that when the front wheels were toe'd out.

worth a check to have alingment checked.

also a good suspension shake down

Check the lower strut bushings that goes between the strut and frame of car at a 45 degee angle.

My 1989 does the exact same thing. My alignment is perfect. Doesnt really bother me though since I have no leaks. Check the front end out first like everyone has suggested. Or have an alignment performed and they will do that for you. Just make sure it is somewhere you trust so they dont take you for a ride...

Guys all great ideas and I appreciate it. Got the car home now so I will start with the fluid check then take it to my suspension guy and have him give it the once over. I'll keep the thread updated as it seems others have had similiar issues.

Thanks again
Adam

ive had the steering pull on me before when cornering, not sure if this was the problem but it fixed it, i change out the rack. its been fine since. by all means im not saying for sure thats your problem but in my case it was.

Back