Transmission

cyoder

So I have a few questions about what to do with my transmission. I have a few options and I want to know which one is best. First of all I own a 1990 SC automatic. The only thing done to it is a cold air intake. I was on Supercoupeperformance.com and I seen an Art Carr Street Max AOD transmission and torque converter package for 1549.99. I was wondering if it would be better to buy that package and drop it right in or if it would be better to get the heavy duty rebuild kit and just a new torque converter. My dad rebuilds transmissions so thats not a problem.

If your looking to save some money and know someone that can rebuild it correctly then go for it, you'll save a ton of money that way. If your looking for a performance trans, a drop in beefed up unit is nice, which is what I did years back. I spent around $2K for my TCI Streetfighter AOD and Streetfighter converter.

Yes, I am wanting a performance transmission. It seemed as if the stock transmission couldnt handle the few trips that I had at the drag strip.....I would like to do a drop in because time is kind of an issue, but at the same time my dad can rebuild it so it is a tough decision on what i want to do. i have my tax check coming my way so 2k for a transmission is fine for me. Where did you get your tranny from?

Made an afternoon trip to the local Jegs in Columbus for the trans :D. They didn't have the converter in stock so I had to order it from Summit. I did have to drop the valve body and swap the shift linkage on the trans as it was from different car.

oh i see. I just went to jegs.com and looked for the package of the two under tci streetfighter but there was not one for my transmission. So i went under the performance ford racing and there is a street smart package. part number 732-pass53103....i think i might go with that one. im not for sure yet though.

Thanks...i seen those on there but i wasnt sure if they would work since it said it was for a 5.0/5.8 L. I have another question....would you happen to know the diameter of the stock torque converter?

Not to blow my own horn but I can build a better transmission for the same money. The Art Carr trans is crap. A stock transmission with relined red frictions.
Alan

Not to blow my own horn but I can build a better transmission for the same money. The Art Carr trans is crap. A stock transmission with relined red frictions.
Alan
Alan's transmission has held up longer than any other transmission I've had in my car....and I've had numerous transmissions. My Art Carr transmission only lasted 15 months and about 3000 miles.

I'm also running one of Alan's converters and I've been very happy with it as well.

Last edited:
i had mine rebuilt by a guy that has been rebuilding transmissions for 30 years. He looked at the art carr transmissions and told me he could build a better one. He used better internal parts, extra clutches, shift kit, and a new higher stall torque converter. Parts and labor cost me $1200 total. Transmission is still going strong today and was a noticable upgrade.

Back