Rear wheel hub question

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I did a search and want to verify if I read correctly. Is there any difference between a '90 rear hub and a '94 rear hub? Are all years indeed the same? My original '90 rear wheel bearings are fairly well worn and I have a set of 94 rear hubs and axles in excellent condition all ready to slide right in. Do the original '90 brake calipers bolt right up? They call for different brake parts between the 2 years so I was confused and wanted to make sure I could just swap out the axle and hub assembly while retaining the original brakes. My pads and rotors are new and I have a new spare set and don't want to waste them.

It appears that Ford lists a different part number hub for 89-91 and 92+. The knuckle part numbers seem to change also.

Hopefully Fast Ed will chime in.

Last edited:
If there is a difference, it is likely the machined lip used to locate the brake rotor. I'm not sure why the knuckle would be different unless it is something to do with the brake caliper mounting.

Rear hubs are the same for all MN-12, disc or drum, 89 - 97. Latest OEM number is F3SZ 1109 A.

cheers
Ed N.

I made all sorts of measurements and they were the same. I also found out that the difference in the brake caliper has to do with the rotor thickness and not the mounting so I'll be able to leave all the brake components in place. Thanks for the info.

That's correct, Mike. The 89-92 used thicker rotors, so the pads, calipers, and caliper anchors are different as well between those years and the 93-97. Everything on the brakes can be interchanged as a complete set.

cheers
Ed N.

Back