Engine Wont stay running.

SO BAD

Recently my High pressure sterring line sprung a leak, so i have had it in my garage for about two weeks replacing the line. Before I had to repair this my engine was running just fine. Now when i start it up it will run at about 1500 rpm for 45 secs and then shutoff. The check engine light is on im just not sure what the problem is.

Recently my High pressure sterring line sprung a leak, so i have had it in my garage for about two weeks replacing the line. Before I had to repair this my engine was running just fine. Now when i start it up it will run at about 1500 rpm for 45 secs and then shutoff. The check engine light is on im just not sure what the problem is.

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Did you unbolt the IC tubes when repairing the power steering problem ? If you did they need to be resealed. This can be done with high temp RTV or with some teflon gaskets.

David

I beleive its also a Vac Leak. This will throw a check engine light for the EEC over compensates with fuel to keep it running.

-Tim

sc

i was responding to the vac leak... i shouldnt be a leak. it wouldnt stay running for 45 sec then dying.

Doesn't sound like a vac leak, sounds like the TPS sensor went out. check your grounds first, then check if you disconnected the coolant temp sensor connection - some cars will run then die if that's disconnected.

As David mentioned, size of the leak will have different causes. For instance, I broke the connection that runs to the boost gauge when I just did my motor mounts and PS hoses. Car would run w/ a check engine light and then stall out. After replacing the broken section of the plastic hose it now runs fine and the lights off.

The Coolant temp sensor being disconnected wont cause a car to die, however it will cause hard starts and the fan to run immediately upon start.

-Tim

I found a disconnected hose and reconnected it. I still am haveing the same problem, to make matters even worse I now have a coolant leak coming from an unknown location.

I found a disconnected hose and reconnected it. I still am haveing the same problem, to make matters even worse I now have a coolant leak coming from an unknown location.

.....what year is your car,which side of the car is the leak coming from...passenger,driver and where on the engine did you find the disconneted hose????
z

The disconnected hose was on the drivers side right behind the coil pack.

That's just the inlet breather hose for the PCV system, it doesn't hold vacuum. You looking for a leak anywhere between the throttle body and intake manifold, which includes the inlet plenum, the bypass valve, the SC topm the upper IC tube, the IC, the lower IC tube and the return plenum.

Easiest way to locate leaks is to spray all those connections with carb or brake cleaner while engine is idling. Rpms will surge when it sucks in the carb cleaner.

David

PS: Don't spray the exhaust manifolds.

Back