Nasty Oil Leak

drummerduker

My '94 Auto SC is having a major engine oil leak. I pulled my car into my garage at about 10pm last night and When I went back to work on it around noon the next day there was a soft ball sized oil puddle underneath the car. I lifted the car and directly above the puddle is the rear of the motor, near the bell housing of the trans, and I can see a strange large rubber almost U-shaped gasket of some sort. This gasket is halfway off and I can see alot of oil around the area surrounding the peice of rubber, so I think its the culprit.

Does anybody know what I am referring to? Can you name that gasket? lol Has anybody had an issue like this before?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist me!

My '94 Auto SC is having a major engine oil leak. I pulled my car into my garage at about 10pm last night and When I went back to work on it around noon the next day there was a soft ball sized oil puddle underneath the car. I lifted the car and directly above the puddle is the rear of the motor, near the bell housing of the trans, and I can see a strange large rubber almost U-shaped gasket of some sort. This gasket is halfway off and I can see alot of oil around the area surrounding the peice of rubber, so I think its the culprit.

Does anybody know what I am referring to? Can you name that gasket? lol Has anybody had an issue like this before?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist me!

The rubber thing your seeing is probably the inspection cover. It's a big rubber grommet type plug that keeps dirt out of the bell housing area. It is removed to access the torque converter bolts.

If oil is leaking from that area, it's most likely the rear main seal.

David

Back